Suggestions for an English Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meshuggah

Reaction score
Sometime this week, I should be in possession of 10 pounds of Maris Otter and 4oz of EKG. I'm looking for some ideas on what to do with it. A few that I've been toying with are:

3 gallon EKG/MO SMaSH barley wine (SG 1.090)
4 gallon EKG/MO IPA (SG 1.068)

I can only do 4 gallon maximum batches, by the way. I have a few packets of S04, so I will probably use that, but was also thinking of picking up a vial of WLP002, which I've never tried. I can also pick up some specialty malts, as I'm a little worried that the smash ideas will be too one dimensional (maybe some crystal for the IPA). I also have plenty of bittering hops as well. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

IPA sounds great... nothing wrong with SMaSH when you have good ingredients. I just tapped an ESB that is similar... except I used Challenger to bitter instead of all EKG. 5.5 gal batch:

10# Pale Ale malt (not MO, whatever Austin Homebrew Supply uses as their stock PAM)
1oz Challenger 60 min
1oz EKG 15 min
1oz EKG flame out...
10 minute rest prior to cooling.
OG 1.061

S04

enjoying it right now :D

Sometime this week, I should be in possession of 10 pounds of Maris Otter and 4oz of EKG. I'm looking for some ideas on what to do with it. A few that I've been toying with are:

3 gallon EKG/MO SMaSH barley wine (SG 1.090)
4 gallon EKG/MO IPA (SG 1.068)

I can only do 4 gallon maximum batches, by the way. I have a few packets of S04, so I will probably use that, but was also thinking of picking up a vial of WLP002, which I've never tried. I can also pick up some specialty malts, as I'm a little worried that the smash ideas will be too one dimensional (maybe some crystal for the IPA). I also have plenty of bittering hops as well. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

I made this...haven't had it yet as it is still dry hopping in the keg, but the sample was awesome:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/anyone-brewed-ipa-ekg-140192/#post1591350

In my batch, I used Marris Otter and re-used some s-04.

I don't like barley wines. I made some over 30 years ago, but they just took too long to mature (well over 12 months) and I'm just too impatient.
As for the IPA, I think adding 8 0z or so of crystal 40 - 60 would be a worthwhile addition, along with some bittering hops, leaving the EKG for late/dry hop additions.
I find that WLP002 or SO4 is fine for a Bitter, but I wouldn't like to use either for an IPA.
For an IPA, I would use WLP023 or WY1028 (I haven't found a suitable dry yeast.) WLP023 and WY1028 are very different, but the descriptions on the respective web sites are very good.

-a.

Im using wlp005 for some english pale ales. May be ipa's really.
anything over 7% for me seems to get too syrupy for me, i have a hard time making strong beers taste like beer.

I've got a partigyle bitter/old ale going right now. I'll crack into the old ale in a year, but the ESB I made is delicious. It's just MO and c-60, which is my fav. I've made Jamil's ESB but I really prefer the taste of just medium caramel. This is a pretty classic recipe.

10 lbs MO
1.25 lbs c-60
2 oz EKG @ 60
1 oz EKG @ 5
WLP002

I find that WLP002 or SO4 is fine for a Bitter, but I wouldn't like to use either for an IPA.
For an IPA, I would use WLP023 or WY1028 (I haven't found a suitable dry yeast.) WLP023 and WY1028 are very different, but the descriptions on the respective web sites are very good.

Doesn't look like I'll be able to get a hold of those yeasts before friday brewday. Does anyone dig WLP002 or S04 (which I'll most likely go with) in an English IPA or strong ESB?

Doesn't look like I'll be able to get a hold of those yeasts before friday brewday. Does anyone dig WLP002 or S04 (which I'll most likely go with) in an English IPA or strong ESB?

S-04 is wonderfull. I used it for the English IPA mentioned earlier. That plus Marris Otter = English perfection. :)

Edit: As an aside, I don't understand why folks pay more to use liquid yeast for straight line American Ales (US-05) or English style Ales (S-04). That is, use US-05 in place of WLP001/WY1056 and S-04 in place of WLP002/WY1968. Then use the liquids for the more exotic White Labs or Wyeast strains. Dry yeast is easy to store, easy to pitch, and cheap(er) and comes out just fine.

Yeah dry yeast is indeed much more convenient. Looks like I'm going with S04 for now. I think I'm going to pick up some English crystal/caramel for the batch too. A pound will probably suffice.

Back