Suggestions for adding apricots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VipertheIV

Reaction score
Thinking of doing an apricot ESB. Open to suggestions. Extract flavoring vs actual fruit. Fresh vs dried? Primary or secondary?

I'm a purist...so I hate using extract. Although, apricot is one of the few extract flavorings that I believe actually tastes okay.

I would still suggest fresh apricots. I do an apricot blonde quite frequently. I use 4-5lbs of fresh apricots cubed. I don't use secondary fermentors on lighter beers like this, so I typically freeze the apricots (after cubing) for 2 weeks, then I'll add them to the primary once fermentation has finished. Allow it to sit another few weeks until fermentation stops again, and you're good to go.

I recommend using real fruit if possible. I used an apricut extract with a nut brown, and even after cutting the recommended dose in half it carried a very unnatural flavor into the beer.

Out here where I'm at, Dogfish head has a fantastic Apri-hop seasonal - Apricot and cascade/Willamette.

The brewery uses dried apricots - which i think are pureed. Dried apricots will give you a more intense apricot flavor for less apricot.

I always avoid flavorings/extracts where possible... Magic hat #9 Pale Ale (based in vermont i think) has apricot flavoring in it... some people like it... i'm not a fan.

Great suggestions! I will be doing the base ESB recipe this weekend. Then brewing it again with apricots as long as I like it and think it will work.

Back