Suggestions for a hoppy beer recipe that doesn't rapidly fade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigans

Reaction score
Hi All,

I wanted to use up the hops that are getting old in my freezer.
I'm already sorted for IPAs and have a RIS and Barleywine planned.

I would like to brew something else that uses up a decent amount of hops but with few criteria:

1. I bottle and it's shame to put a pile of hops in a beer only for it to become half the beer it was after a month. So basically something that I could still enjoy up until at least 6 months
2. OG up to 1.080
3. A beer that is good after 4 max 6 weeks in the bottle and that I don't have to wait several months for it to mellow.
4. At least 5 oz in a 5 gallon batch and no ultra low alpha hops
5. open to any malt type

Any suggestions would be appreciated.:mug:

Sounds ripe for a classic English IPA?

+1 on the English IPA. It may turn into an ESB-ish beer in 6 months but will probably still be good. Or consider an American Strong Ale. Sort of sits between a Double IPA (bigger body but not as bitter/pungent) and Barleywine (hoppy-er but not as boozy). Arrogant Bastard-ish

Or go completely off the reservation and brew a 1.070-1.080 hoppy amber ale and pitch WY3522 Ardennes. It flocc's pretty well, and like a lot of Belgian yeasts, IMO it gets more interesting with time. It's a good yeast for hoppy Belgian beers

Last edited:
Hi guys thanks for the replies.:)
Food for thought there.

English IPA is interesting but I forgot to mention I would like to use up some American hops.

I'll have a look for some American Strong ale recipes to see if I find one that fits the bill.

Any other suggestions welcome.
;)

6 months without fading is a huge stretch. I dont even see that in commercial examples where oxidation is minimized far easier. Id keep the malt bill light, maybe 5% crystal (ranging from carapils to c-20 depending on what you prefer), 5% white wheat, 90% 2 row, 1.065 or so OG, mash low to keep it dry, bitter low (40-50ish ibu?), but slam it with late addition hops (focusing on whirlpool below 180F for 30-40 min and dry hop). Id aim for 11-12 oz total for hops used.

Good luck, dont think youll hit an ipa that is fresh for 6 months but it should be enjoyable for a while. Keep them cold as long as possible once they are carbed up. Fading fast is just part of the style to be honest.

6 months without fading is a huge stretch. I dont even see that in commercial examples where oxidation is minimized far easier. Id keep the malt bill light, maybe 5% crystal (ranging from carapils to c-20 depending on what you prefer), 5% white wheat, 90% 2 row, 1.065 or so OG, mash low to keep it dry, bitter low (40-50ish ibu?), but slam it with late addition hops (focusing on whirlpool below 180F for 30-40 min and dry hop). Id aim for 11-12 oz total for hops used.

Good luck, dont think youll hit an ipa that is fresh for 6 months but it should be enjoyable for a while. Keep them cold as long as possible once they are carbed up. Fading fast is just part of the style to be honest.

Wow just saw that you are sorted for IPA's and i write you a suggestion for an IPA. Apparently i cant read.

Wow just saw that you are sorted for IPA's and i write you a suggestion for an IPA. Apparently i cant read.

No problem. All experience and advice welcome :)

I have some German hops too so another option is a Sticke Altbier.
Around 6.5% and would use up 4 or 5 oz of hops if I stuck with Tettnang and Perle.
Could even use up my Northern Brewer instead as it's similar to Perle.
Should have a nice hoppy bite and moderate aroma that would hang around for a while.

Back