Suggestions for a Honey Dew Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndGenBrewer

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers!

I've been thinking about making a hydromel using Honey dew melons and was wondering if it would be worth it? I have a friend that has made a cantaope melomel and it turned out fantastic. But, I do know that not all melons ferment quite as well.

Here is my thoughts on a recipe:

12 lbs Orange blossom honey
15 lbs of Honey Dew (5 at primary, 5 at end of primary, 5 in secondary)
Nutrient and engerizer staggard
Acid blend
Lavin 71B-1122

I plan on freezing the melon and then to thaw and place in hops bag. From what I've heard about watermelon it is best to use multiple rackings onto the fruit and to be sure to change the fruit after no more then 5 days to prevent a sour taste.

I guess my question is how does this sound? What am I missing? And will any of the melon taste survive aging?

I was wanting to do something similar this year since I am growing honeydew melons. I have seen a couple similar recipes, but havent tried anything as of yet. I thought there was a thread about it somewhere on HBT.

Hello fellow brewers!

I've been thinking about making a hydromel using Honey dew melons and was wondering if it would be worth it? I have a friend that has made a cantaope melomel and it turned out fantastic. But, I do know that not all melons ferment quite as well.

Here is my thoughts on a recipe:

12 lbs Orange blossom honey
15 lbs of Honey Dew (5 at primary, 5 at end of primary, 5 in secondary)
Nutrient and engerizer staggard
Acid blend
Lavin 71B-1122

I plan on freezing the melon and then to thaw and place in hops bag. From what I've heard about watermelon it is best to use multiple rackings onto the fruit and to be sure to change the fruit after no more then 5 days to prevent a sour taste.

I guess my question is how does this sound? What am I missing? And will any of the melon taste survive aging?

I wouldn't add any acid blend until it's completely done & aged a few months, otherwise the 71B yeast will metabolize the malic acid in the acid blend. You might not need it at all. I'd also move the fruit you plan on adding at the end of primary to tertiary. If you add it "at the end of primary" it's still in the primary, all you're doing is extending it. Just my 2cents worth. Regards, GF.

2nd,
Honey dew mead sounds great. I was thinking also putting maybe an ounce or so of raisins with it too. Sounds like a plan for a one gallon recipe.

"If you add it "at the end of primary" it's still in the primary, all you're doing is extending it." -GF

Sounds like a good idea. What I'm really going for is a strong melon taste so tertiary additions probably the best bet.

Another quick question... Do you all think Orange Blossom is a good varitial to use or would I be better to use a real light varitial like Sage blossom? Which would compliment the honey dew flavor in your opinions?

Another quick question... Do you all think Orange Blossom is a good varitial to use or would I be better to use a real light varitial like Sage blossom? Which would compliment the honey dew flavor in your opinions?

Orange blossom will work just fine, so will clover. If you're going for a strong melon flavour, it might mask the flavour of the orange blossom. I think you're looking for a balance between the melon & orange blossom. I'd say either save the orange blossom for something that'll allow it's flavour to come through; OR go easy on the melon. You can always rack it onto more fruit later if you feel it needs it. Regards, GF.

I don't really have anything to add to the thread regarding the original question. But I do have a question of my own. I often see acid blend and tannins as part of recipes, but I'm not sure what the purpose of these two additions is. What are they for? Sorry for the threadjack, but I thought this might be an appropriate place to ask the question since acid blend is in the list of ingredients for the recipe.

Latest posts

Back