Suggestions for a beer in a barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbkohn

Reaction score
I have a 15 gallon bourbon barrel that I have used once to age a stout. It turned out well and I'd like to get opinions on what style of beer I should try next. I was thinking maybe a wheat wine. Of note, the barrel is empty but I did pour 3 liters of white rum inside and I roll the barrel every so often to keep it wet. Any suggestions...

If it's the second time using it you are better off with a high ABV beer as you have an increased risk of infection. You should be ok since you are keeping the rum in there, but why take chances? I'm about to do a RIS for my second use of a barrel, after that it's sours.

There is a Belgian beer festival that my homebrew club can pour at around the end of July here in St. Louis. Do you think a Belgian strong ale would be ready by then? I left the stout in the barrel for about 3 months before I packaged it.

5 months to get a big ol' belgian beer ready, I would sure give it a try!

Treat that yeast right and you should be great.

Back