suggested height above banjo heat shield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Infidel

Reaction score
Austin, don't move here. We don't have water or sp
Finally getting to build a stand for ME to use! Will be HERMS, I'll control the HLT tank with an electric element.
Using the burner model sometimes referred to as the banjo 14... about 10-12 inches across? How high from top of wind shield to bottom of pot?
The first photo show's how I have mounted them. Sorry for bad photo.
burner1.jpg

In the past I built these with the stainless piece as seen in the second photo. It allows excess heat to exit the back of the stand, away from the brewer. Problem is, it is too close to the flame and would be subject to heat scale.
burner2.jpg

I've made this ring out of sacrificial stainless (expecting it will scale and rust) to direct the heat a little more, and provide more wind screen function.
Burners are 4.5" below bottom of pots. Any recommendations on how far the top of the circular heat / wind shield should be? The kettles will initially be the update international 60 quart, and stand designed to fit the 100 quart ones, still allowing gravity drain to boil kettle (which I prefer).
Cutting a triangle of thin stainless sheet 5", and placing it under the sight glass corner and thermocouple corner protects those areas from direct flame. It can be just placed there for the brewing session, or secured with finishing washers.
Short one kettle, keeping my eye out for something about 18" diameter. Cheap, but not so cheap it is difficult to cut and weld fittings to.

Back