Suggest recipe ideas. Free beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopillar

Reaction score
Well everyone I am looking to use the hops I have in the freezer and wanted some input. I am looking for something different to what has been on tap lately. I have a Rye Pale Ale and Chocolate Porter on tap now and recently had a Belgian Strong Ale and an IPA.

I am an all-grain brewer for recipe purposes.

These are the hops needing to be used.

1.5oz - Cascade
.5oz - Magnum
.5oz - Fuggles

I am up for anything so send ideas. I was thinking something fruity since it is summertime but open to anything that catches my attention.
For the input I will send a 6-pack of the finished product so that you can enjoy as well.

I am going to close out suggestions near the weekend. Thanks for looking!

I would go with a lightly hoppy amber. Not a fuggles guy so I'll stick with cascade for late hops. Here's what I'd make (5gal, 75% eff)

6lbs 2-row
3lbs munich
0.75lb C40
0.5lb C80
0.5lb Victory/biscuit

0.5oz magnum 60m
0.5oz cascade 20m
0.5oz cascade 10m
0.5oz cascade 0m

Ferment with your house yeast.

Hmm, I may have to put that beer on my list...

it's summer, so something light, dry, drinkable and tasty will be a nice change from your Rye and Porter.

MoPillar's APA
9 pounds 2-row
1 pound flaked wheat

one-step mash @ 149 degrees

0.5oz magnum (60 min)
1oz cascade (10 min)
0.5oz cascade (flameout)
0.5oz fuggles (flameout)

ferment with northwest ale 1332

I'd go with a somewhat hoppy saison.

7 lbs pilsner
2 lbs wheat
1 lb vienna

.5 oz magnum 60 min
.5 oz fuggles 30 min
.5 oz cascade 15 min
1 oz cascade flameout

Wyeast 3724 for nice spice and juicy fruit flavors. Mash 149-150F. 90 minute boil. If you had 1 oz more of some fruity hop you could dry hop for 3-5 days. Amarillo would be perfect for this.

I made a nice hoppy wheat beer recently and it was a huge hit across all beer drinkers. You could dry hop all of the cascade and use the magnum and fuggles for bittering and late hop additions. I would think fuggles more for bittering and magnum for late additions but I think at the amounts you have you don't have to worry too much about either of those overpowering the beer.

Also, good call on the "free beer" bit. I can see you getting a lot of responses- this could be a trend-setter.

Free anything catches my attention. Add beer to it and sure winner! :)

How about Fruit beer for the win!

4lbs Pilsner
4lbs Pale malt
4lbs Munich

Mash 152

.5 magnum 90min
.5 fuggles 20 min

Wlp029 at 67f 10days
4 days 70f
5lbs peaches secondary 10days
Lager?
Keg/bottle condition
Drink

How about Fruit beer for the win!

4lbs Pilsner
4lbs Pale malt
4lbs Munich

Mash 152

.5 magnum 90min
.5 fuggles 20 min

Wlp029 at 67f 10days
4 days 70f
5lbs peaches secondary 10days
Lager?
Keg/bottle condition
Drink

You are playing to me being in Georgia and having heaps of peaches. Smart move. Would I do anything special to have the peaches in secondary or just peel/cut and toss in? I did a blood orange hefe that I enjoyed so fruit isn't out of the question.

Keep them coming.

+1 on the peaches, but as I'm not a big kolsch drinker, I say saison.

8 lbs Pils
3 lbs wheat
1 lb Munich (optional)

0.5 fuggles at 60
0.5 cascade at 20

Cut the peaches, freeze them, pasteurize (20 min at 140 deg), then add to secondary.

+1 on the peaches, but as I'm not a big kolsch drinker, I say saison.

8 lbs Pils
3 lbs wheat
1 lb Munich (optional)

0.5 fuggles at 60
0.5 cascade at 20

Cut the peaches, freeze them, pasteurize (20 min at 140 deg), then add to secondary.

Yeast?

I've only made one saison and I used 3711, which is a solid yeast. There are some others out there, though. One that isn't quite as aggressive may be good for retaining some fruit flavor.

How about... Hoppy American Wheat!

5lbs 2-row
4lbs white wheat malt
4oz C40

0.5oz magnum 60
0.5oz cascade at 20, 10, 0m

Ferment with WY1010 (clean) or WLP320 (lightly fruity)

I have decided that today will be the last day to enter your suggestions as I would like to go ahead and order before the weekend.

So last chance! Thanks everyone so far!

Peaches huh? Peach vanilla cream ale. Peaches, lactose, vanilla, tad bit of cinnamon, pale malt, carapils or light crystal. Hops - magnum for bittering, cascade at flameout.

7 lbs german pils
4 lbs maris otter

mash 148 f
90 min boil

.5 magnum @ 60 (or first wort for more bitterness)
Remainder hops @ whirlpool

wy1968

Should make a nice summer bitter.

O Sweet! The peaches got hold of ya:) I don't think you'll be disappointed, for the Munich make sure it's about the 7srm range. You'll want the yeast really happy before you pitch, also if you can't lager for a bit and you have access to a filter that would also benefit this beer. Cheers!

Finally today is the day I get to brew this. Lots of moving and now brewing! Excited!

Sweet bet it feels nice to be settled in! Have fun brewing!
Cheers!

Back