sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
I was up late last night bottling my IPA kit. I made a mistake of not taking a hydrometer reading. It was in the primary for a week and the secondary for just over 2 in some oak chips. I took a hydrometer reading after I racked it into the bottling bucket with the sugar :( how far off of a reading do you all think that will give me with the sugar in there. It was reading just a little high of what it was supposed to be at

mot said:
I was up late last night bottling my IPA kit. I made a mistake of not taking a hydrometer reading. It was in the primary for a week and the secondary for just over 2 in some oak chips. I took a hydrometer reading after I racked it into the bottling bucket with the sugar :( how far off of a reading do you all think that will give me with the sugar in there. It was reading just a little high of what it was supposed to be at

I'm still a newb, only brewed 3 batches but I don't think the priming corn sugar or DME will give you much more than like 3 points, if even that.

yeah I am pretty sure I am fine, FG was supposed to be 1.014 to 1.019 and I WAS AT 1.020

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have been reading the newbie threads and trying to get an answer to my (what I think) is a simple question. I have an IPA kit from a can, and have it in the primary fermenter now bubbling away happily. The instructions are pretty lame, as it tells you to pour the 1/2 tsp per bottle sugar in when you bottle. I know its better to put all the sugar into the brew and THEN bottle, but I dont know how much to use.

Anyone know how much sugar I am supposed to use and what method I should use to add it? I am transferring the wort to the secondary fermenter (glass carboy) in a few days then will bottle a few days beyond that depending on the hydrometer readings, so I could sure use some help.

Greg

i ckecked a 5.25 gal batch once before/after 4oz priming sugar, it was .002 difference

Kayos said:
Check out this coooool site calculator for all your priming needs....

This is nice but if you don't have a scale to weigh the sugar/DME it is worthless unless you know the density.

Beerrific said:
This is nice but if you don't have a scale to weigh the sugar/DME it is worthless unless you know the density.
If you don't have a scale, get one! It can only help, especially when dealing with specialty grains and hops.

I have just one last question about the priming sugar. Should I boil it or just put it dry into the bottom of my pail and siphon from the secondary into it? I read that some boil their sugar. If I am supposed to, what is the process? Do I use water with it? Do I have to let it cool before I siphon into the pail?

Greg

Boil it in 2 cups of water and cool it before use. You can speed the cooling by putting your covered saucepan in a cold water bath while you sanitize you bottles and stuff.
Then just pour the cooled corn sugar water into your bottling bucket and rack your beer in on top. The racking should mix the priming solution evenly so you'll be ready to bottle.
:mug:

Back