Sugar Tablets in Growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Toy

Reaction score
I am getting ready to ship a growler across the country and was wondering whether or not I should pop in a few sugar tablets for a little extra carbonation? Beer has been kegged a couple of weeks and the carb is on the low side (Its a Triple). Would adding sugar at this point even result in anything?

I am having a major brain fart and can't even figure out why I came up with this question. But I did so there....:rockin:

You must be careful carbonating in growlers. They aren't made to resist buildup of pressure as much as a bottle.

That said, if you put "just enough" sugar in there, there is a good chance the yeast will continue to carb the beer once it warms up to room temp.

Your recipient might find a box of wet carboard, though, if it explodes...

I wouldn't try it. The yeast could likely eat the sugar to increase CO2 a little, but simply by opening the growler you'd be releasing all the excess pressurized CO2 currently in there.
Plus, as Homercidal said, Growlers are not necessarily designed for the overpressure of carbonating. During fermentation the yeast make enough CO2 that it forms bubbles, which are later dissolved into the beer. Until it dissolves the gas stays at higher pressure.

Well, I am using a stainless growler that I am fairly sure won't blow up. But I understand the point about the beer not carbing over the course of a few days in transit. To heck with it....I am sending as is :D

Stainless would likely hold the pressure. But I'd still say you're likely to release as much opening it as you add by putting in the sugar tablets, plus they'd have to wait a while after receiving it for the yeast to consume that sugar.
If they complain tell them "then brew your own beer" :-D

If it's stainless, I'd say go for it!

The yeast will create more CO2 and even if it's not absorbed into the beer at shipping temp, a couple of days in the fridge will put it back in solution and carb the beer back up.

Back