Sugar in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer Troy

Reaction score
So I just finished my first attempt at making the wort. except I really stupidly added the priming sugar right after i took the wort off the stove ( I thought it was the yeast...) so anyways, now that ive confirmed that reading the labels on the bags is important, Should I just start over?

What happens when i add priming sugar to the wart before its even startd to ferment?

any siuggestion?

No problem at all. Just let it ferment out, and buy some more priming sugar when it comes time to bottle. You probably increased your sg by .003 points or so.

Nothing will happen. Nothing will go wrong. Relax.

All that will happen is that your beer will be slightly stronger than without the priming sugar, probably not even 1%.
You main issue is only that you need new priming sugar!

Chill bro. Not a problem.

You weren't going to pitch the yeast before chilling the wort, were you? :confused:

If you pitch the yeast when the wort's much about 100°, you're looking at a WHOLE LOTTA dead yeasties.

arite..feelin better. thanks everyone for the quick replies. Just alittle wound up after my first brew session. I was like, running around everywhere (think: chicken with no head). Guess i gotta make a trip to my brew shop again.

I let the wort chill for 20-30.

Also wat does "sg" stand for?

thanks everyone.

SG is specific gravity. OG is original gravity (prior to the ferment) FG is final gravity (after the ferment) Take the difference between the two and multiply by .129 and that will give you the alcohol content by volume! TADA

Archer Troy said:
arite..feelin better. thanks everyone for the quick replies. Just alittle wound up after my first brew session. I was like, running around everywhere (think: chicken with no head). Guess i gotta make a trip to my brew shop again.

I let the wort chill for 20-30.

Also wat does "sg" stand for?

thanks everyone.

I missed the part about throwing it in hot. That's fine for the sugar- good thing it wasn't your yeast! It needs to cool more than 20-30 minutes, unless you're using an ice bath. I used to use an ice bath in the sink until it was about 70 degrees, then add cool water to it in the fermenter. You shouldn't pitch your yeast until your wort is around 70 degrees.

Try to get your wort as cool as you can as fast as possible. You don't want an infection or off flavors!

Latest posts

Back