Sugar in mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerdanger

Reaction score
So I did a saison today, and misread the beersmith recipe which called for 1lb of table sugar as a "mash addition". So I added it during mash, cause that what it said... But when my timer went off and I set it to "boil mode" it instructed me to add the sugar... My og was a hair low (called for 1.059) I ended up with 1.052. Wort is very sweet prior to yeast addition but to be honest I've never sampled wort before yeast.

What are the adverse affects of this? Or will the yeast just take care of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It certainly won't hurt anything. The sugar will probably dissolve pretty well in ~150 water over an hour and just run out with the rest of the wort. I wouldn't be surprised to see a little drop in efficiency (as it appears you did), but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yeah last three batches have been spot on for OG and volume. This is the first that's been low... Makes sense now.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wort is very sweet prior to yeast addition but to be honest I've never sampled wort before yeast.

Not really on the topic, but start tasting! Even a couple times through the mash. You can learn a lot about what is going on with your wort/beer.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Back