substituting the right grain profile for Dark DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillbrew

Reaction score
hey all,

i searched the forum for a bit but could not find exactly the answer i was looking for. i am looking to do a stout recipe that i did last year that had 6 pounds of Dark DME. the wonderful but query-inducing difference is that i have switched to all grain but would love this beer to come out very consistent to last year's. is there any one grain or grain profile that would mimic the DME profile. its certainly a sweet beer so i would assume some base malt and some cara-malt would do the trick, i just would love anyone's personal experience with this topic. let me know!

sam

If you are not in a hurry, my guy Lockwyn that answers the phones M-F will have the answer. 1-800-890-2739.

Forrest

did a bit more looking around and found this spec sheet on Briess DME.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_CBWTradDarkDME.pdf

im wondering if its as simple as picking a base malt that has similar fermentability and a sweet crystal malt that has that roasty sweetness of this malt. ill try giving your guy a call on monday at austin home brew, thanks for the tip!

anybody else got thoughts?

sam

Rather than try to duplicate an extract (which is itself a substitute for all-grain) IMO you would be better served trying to replicate the beer or it's flavors directly with the appropriate mix of grains.

Rather than try to duplicate an extract (which is itself a substitute for all-grain) IMO you would be better served trying to replicate the beer or it's flavors directly with the appropriate mix of grains.

+1. I think you'd have better results just brewing for the end flavor than trying to band-aid a recipe. If you're not adept at recipe formulation, you could start by finding a clone recipe that your beer is 'kinda like' and then add/subtract ingredients to adjust for the differences you can identify. I'm sure you'd get lots of help around here.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you get what you're going for.

Back