Substitute for DME in Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philbert119

Reaction score
Since 3 lbs. of DME costs $17 at my LHBS, I've been looking for a cheaper way to do my yeast starters. Last weekend I did a second sparge after I had gathered all my helles wort in the brew kettle to get a low gravity "small beer" wort at 1.020 gravity in order to use it for this week's starter. I saved the low gravity wort in a reused milk jug container and plan on supplementing it with DME to get a 1.035 gravity, boil and then use for my yeast starter for an American Pale Ale. Has anyone else done something similar or are there any problems with such a method? For example, protein degredation of the cold wort sitting in the fridge? Just another pragmatic brewer trying to save $$$$$$.

I know a number of people around here simply use some leftover wort from a batch as starter material for a future one. You shouldn't have any problems at all with it.

I plan to start saving leftover sparge runnings, or doing a smaller third sparge in future batches so that I do have starter wort... I do plan on testing the samples to make sure they're of a reasonable gravity to use for starters (I think 1.020 would be the lowest I'd use)... You can always boil it a bit to get it more concentrated.

Might be brewing another batch next weekend, so I think I'll need to order up my refractometer in the next day or two... Just hope Bobby_M has some left in stock... :D

This is what I do, as long as things line up (if I brew a pils after a stout, the wort is too dark and I have to use DME). But I run off 1 gal. If it is 1.020, I boil it down to get 2 qts. @ 1.040. DME is expensive, and with batch sparging, there is always enough sugar left behind. I put the runnings in a 1 gal. or 2 gal. zip lock and freeze it.

Malta.

url

+1 to jbrookeiv...By far the cheapest method I've done. Malta costs $0.69 for me. Mix a bottle of malta with equal parts water, add yeast. Done.

I use dme for convenience but leftover wort to save $$. Just boil it to ensure no bacteria survives... shoot for 1040.

Back