Subs for centennial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jibs

Reaction score
Hi guys

Im brewing an IPA this weekend, my first ever all grain (BIAB).

The recipe im following calls for the following hop schedule:

BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
- 0.4 oz Centennial (60 minutes)
- 0.6 oz Centennial (20 minutes)
- 1 oz Centennial (5 minutes)
DRY HOPS add to secondary fermenter
- 1 oz Centennial

I dont have 3 oz of centennial, however i do have:

1 oz centennial
2 oz cascade
4 oz galaxy
1 oz nelson sauvin
1 oz warrior
2 oz simcoe

What would you recommend as substitutes? I understand that for the bittering additions I sub volumes based on alpha acid, but what about for the aroma additions?

Cheers

It looks like you have enough Centennial for the 60 min and 20 min additions. These two are going to be where most of the IBUs come from. The 5 min addition will give some IBUs, but not a whole lot. I would personally go with the Cascade for the 5 min and dry hop, since Cascade is one of my favorite hops. I have an IPA bottled right now that is almost ready to drink that was bittered with Centennial, and all flavor/aroma done with Cascade and Amarillo. I opened a bottle early, and the flavors are great.

Use warrior for bittering. You will have to use less. Use cascade for your 20 min, Save your centennial for your 5 minute addition, dry hop with simcoe. It will be delicious.

I seem to remember a long time ago people saying that a Cascade/CTZ combo was close to Centennial…. So maybe blend Cascade and Warrior (close to CTZ)?

I wouldn’t use the Centennial as bittering since you will get very little flavor out of that.

Here is something I would consider if I were trying to get as close to the recipe as possible with your ingredients on hand (adjust as necessary for IBUs):

0.4 oz Warrior (60 min) (adjust for IBU)
0.4 oz Cascade, 0.2 oz Warrior (20 min)
0.7 oz Cascade, 0.3 oz Warrior (5 min)
1 oz Centennial Dry Hop

Definitely use any high alpha hop for bittering and save the Centennial for late flavor additions. Centennial is a great dual-purpose hop, but it's a waste to use it for bittering when you don't have enough for flavor.

You can augment with Cascade, since they are similar in flavor.

kpr121 looks to have a good schedule above ^^

Use warrior for bittering. You will have to use less. Use cascade for your 20 min, Save your centennial for your 5 minute addition, dry hop with simcoe. It will be delicious.

This is a great idea! Warrior is my favorite bittering hop and cascade + centennial is my favorite APA/IPA combo. Simcoe is awesome also...

My guess would be using any for bittering, but a combo of centennial and cascade for the 5 minute and dry hopping, to keep it closest to the recipe. Maybe simcoe for 20 min.

Back