Submerged fermentor with a spigot...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am just wondering how many of you submerge a fermentor with a spigot on?

I know that the fermentors on the market are of good quality, but how safe is it to submerge them with spigots on? After weeks in the waterbath, some water from the bath could leak into the batch, right? I guess it also depends how tight the tap is on.

So, I'd like someone to share their experience (hopefully good ones :)).

If nothing leaks out, what makes you think something will leak in?

Now when removing the fermentor from the water bath after a few weeks, that spigot will have dirty water in it. That needs to be cleaned and sanitized, which maybe hard to do. After sanitizing, maybe flush out with the first 1/2 pint of beer coming out, good for the hydrometer and taster.

You can prevent some bacteria and other micro organism growth in water by adding some bleach to it, and keep it circulated.

It's not so much that the funky water would leak into the fermenter. But, rather, that some funky stuff in the cooling water would allow some nasties to grow inside the spigot. So when I submerged mine, I covered the spigot with a plastic bag around the spigot secured with a rubber band.

Maybe you can plug up the outlet of the spigot with a small rubber stopper, so nothing gets in. Or fill the spigot with sanitizer, then plug up.

@unionrdr I don't see how a plastic bag with a rubber band makes a water tight seal. Agree on funky stuff growing in places that are difficult or impossible to clean and sanitize, before racking, being the largest infection vector.

13636.jpg

Also remember that the spigot also has a relief hole that allows liquid to drop after you put it in the close position.

My Italian ones don't have that hole in it. Yeah, bags can leak, but turning it sideways & using a thicker plastic bag helps. I like the idea of plugging the spout though. It got me to thinking of using those rubber vacuum nipple covers to fit over the spout.

13636.jpg

Also remember that the spigot also has a relief hole that allows liquid to drop after you put it in the close position.

I wouldn't trust a $4 spigot for longer than it takes to bottle a batch, let alone submerging the thing for weeks......

None of my fermenters have spigots. I might trust a good ball valve but still I would not submerge it.

It's not so much that the funky water would leak into the fermenter. But, rather, that some funky stuff in the cooling water would allow some nasties to grow inside the spigot. So when I submerged mine, I covered the spigot with a plastic bag around the spigot secured with a rubber band.
I used to do that.....but when I got the fermentor out of waterbath it would be filled with water (no matter what :))

Maybe I'm just a worrywart, but ice bath or no ice bath, the idea of a spout on my fermentor scares me. I used to run a Starbucks, and we would take apart our spouts regularly for cleaning. Mind you, the design is completely different, but they were quite good at accumulating crud. I'm not so scared of pouring fully fermented beer through the spout on my bottling bucket since there's alcohol in there and anything would be miniscule. But, wort? No, that would scare me.
bunn-28707-0004-black-faucet-repair-kit-for-coffee-servers-urns-iced-tea-dispensers.jpg

I even clean my spigots inside and out after bottling AND before bottling the next time.

Take apart, clean, sanitize, put back together.

Ever since the first time I took one apart and realized that no matter how much you flush hot water and cleaner through that sucker, it's STILL going to get crud in it.

Maybe I'm just a worrywart, but ice bath or no ice bath, the idea of a spout on my fermentor scares me. I used to run a Starbucks, and we would take apart our spouts regularly for cleaning. Mind you, the design is completely different, but they were quite good at accumulating crud. I'm not so scared of pouring fully fermented beer through the spout on my bottling bucket since there's alcohol in there and anything would be miniscule. But, wort? No, that would scare me.

I dont get it at all. Why would wort go through the spigot?

Wort goes into the fermentor, it ferments, then it gets bottled (and at that stage as u were saying it is with alcohol,,,so through that spigot, it will be beer that flows through).

I think people are worried about what starts growing inside a spigot while it is in the waterbath for weeks. Thanks to this post....I am considering a fermentor with no spigot and an auto-siphon.

With buckets being free at Walmart bakery counter or a local donut shop, why not keep the spigot bucket only for bottling and keep another bucket without the risk for fermenting?

I only use non spigot buckets for fermenting, frequently submerged and then the spigot bucket at bottling time.

With buckets being free at Walmart bakery counter or a local donut shop, why not keep the spigot bucket only for bottling and keep another bucket without the risk for fermenting?

I'll do that, but in Europe (for some reason) everything is more expensive than in the USA when it comes to brewing. A simple 5 gallon plastic bucket with spigot and a lid costs 19 dollars.

I'll do that, but in Europe (for some reason) everything is more expensive than in the USA when it comes to brewing. A simple 5 gallon plastic bucket with spigot and a lid costs 19 dollars.

Is that high cost from a homebrewing store, or from a grocery store or bakery?

My local homebrew store has a bucket and lid for about $15, and $3 more for the spigot, but the local market and bakeries often give them away for free.

Back