Styles that can handle 10-20% crystal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
I've got some cans of unhopped extract that I'd like to build some recipes out of. They are 80% pilsner, 20% crystal malt (not sure what lovibond, assuming at the lighter end).

This is a lot more crystal than I'm used to. Was just wondering if anyone has experience with this much crystal in a recipe and some tips maybe. I can of course reduce the percentage by partial mashing some base malt, and are open to doing that.

Was thinking of starting with an American amber, with firm hop bitterness that should handle 20% crystal right? Possibly an English bitter?

Just looking for ideas to get started really. Cheers.

American Amber, Brown Ale would be OK to brew with so much Crystal, but the Brown needs a bit of roastiness as well ... or not, if you are going for a really sweet one.

English Bitters do not contain 20% Crystal malt and they should not brewed with so much Crystal. Maybe 5-6% would be OK.

That seems like an odd ratio for malt extract. Can you post a link to the product or take a photo of the specs? I made a pale ale from a recipe in Zymurgy that called for 20% crystal malt and it was a dumper. I could barely choke the beer down it was so out of balance. I've concluded that the recipe must have had a print error.

That seems like an odd ratio for malt extract. Can you post a link to the product or take a photo of the specs? I made a pale ale from a recipe in Zymurgy that called for 20% crystal malt and it was a dumper. I could barely choke the beer down it was so out of balance. I've concluded that the recipe must have had a print error.
It says 21% crystal, 79% lager malt. Could by a typo, but I've read those same specs in 2 places. I think it's intended to be used with a kit or another unhopped can so that you end up with 10% crystal, or as part of a 3-can recipe so it's around 7%. For a respectable stout or IPA you'd be using 3 cans anyway so it makes sense in that context.

I've been brewing 10L / 2.5G batches lately so I was looking at ways to use this on it's own, or partial mashed with some base malt. Could also just use half the can I guess and keep the rest for the next recipe.

Latest posts

Back