Styles of Beer You Just Can't Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Porters and Stouts are something I do not like. I will try them here and there with the hopes to find one I like. I've even tried black IPAs (I love IPAs) but these are disgusting to me. Although a local brewery has a dark IPA I was pleasantly surprised with and enjoyed the most.

Rap and Country...

...oh wait, wrong thread.
I don't like:
  • 10 - German Wheat Beer
  • 21B - White IPA
  • 23 - European Sour Ale
  • 24 - Belgian Ale
  • 25 - Strong Belgian Ale
  • 26 - Trappist Ale
  • 28 - American Wild Ale
  • 29 - MOST fruit beer
  • 30 - MOST spiced beer

Fruit Juice Beers - Beer flavored fruit juice is absolutely disgusting. For example: New Belgium Citradelic, Sam Adams rebel Grapefruit IPA, etc.
Beer flavored fruit juice. It tastes like a liturgical of orange juice with a 12 oz beer poured in it. Ick! Yuck! Ugh!

Pilsner - After years of being forced to drink BMC I have no taste for this style. Every example I've tried just tastes like a variation of BMC.

Anything with cherries - I tried Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. OMG it tasted like carbonated cough syrup. I have never poured out a beer until that day.

Like just about all styles more or less, the only one getting close to hate is Pilsner. Damn close. Growing up in Germany, the single minded focus on that style alone just made me hate it. Was always a Hefeweizen kind of guy and switched to the many great styles in a heartbeat when craft came around.

A style I usually don't get to enjoy also include Brown Ales. Meh.

My wife actually humors me from time to time. Sometimes I wish she wouldn't.
We visited the Costco just off Route 1 in north Jersey and I decided to buy a case of Kirkland beer. It had four distinct styles - or so I thought.

When I cracked a bottle of each and tried them, multiple times, BTW, all seemed disappointingly bitter to me. Wife attempted to salvage the situation by suggesting she could use them for cooking, but the mere thought horrified me. It was too late. If it wasn't fit for drinking, it wasn't fit to cook with, in my opinion.
So I dumped it ...and that was before I found out wort, beer, trub, and spent grains make good plant food.

I think the closest to "can't stand" that I get is American "malt liquor." I've only had it maybe twice, but I had to try to force myself to gag it down and in the end, I ended up pouring like 80% of it down the drain. That stuff is nasty. I can't understand the appeal. And, yes, it is beer, even though "beer" isn't in the title. I don't know why malt liquor is made that way.

for me its nostalgia. I grew up on colt 45s and mickeys and honestly they are way more palatable than a coors light or bud light

edit: and to answer the main question...
Fruit flavored beers or beers that require a fruit. I hate blue moon because if I am buying a beer and then I have to buy an orange to make it taste halfway decent then they should be making it taste citrusy ahead of time. But I also cant stand any of those fruit infused beers so it probably wouldn't be my cup o' beer either way

Dislikes are:
Sours (although as a beer judge I've had a few I could "appreciate")
Belgians
Lambics
Saisons (but tame ones are OK)
Wild Ales
Hefe's
most wheat beers (some are good) love Sam Adams (cherry wheat):mug:
Gose
Gouse
Anything funky :mad:

IPAs and Pale Ales that should be considered IPAs but somehow aren't.

Stouts that have a ridiculously strong coffee flavor. The few examples of Porter that I've had haven't been great.

Just about any beer that adds a ridiculous (I know, that is a great unit of measure) amount of hops with under 15 minutes to go in the boil, or dry-hops. I prefer balanced beers, and those that are a little to the malty side of the spectrum.

Dislikes are:

Sours (although as a beer judge I've had a few I could "appreciate")

Belgians

Lambics

Saisons (but tame ones are OK)

Wild Ales

Hefe's

most wheat beers (some are good) love Sam Adams (cherry wheat):mug:

Gose

Gouse

Anything funky :mad:

You're a beer judge who dislikes Belgian ales? Sounds like you're in the wrong line of work.

You can dislike a style and still be impartial. Actually I think you make a better judge. That way your personal tastes won't influence the decisions on the score sheets.
I find that I can be more objective when I don't like a style.
I hate Belgians as well. And saisons.
But I know the BJCP guidelines and can pick out any imperfections.

• Any of the "Belgian" hybrids. i.e. "Belgian" IPA, Pale, etc. The esters of Belgian yeasts just do not meld well with the different (contrasting) fruity hop aromas and strong bitterness. You can't just ferment an otherwise good style with Trappist yeast and call it a success. It's just plain lazy, and I tend to not respect the opinion of anyone who likes those styles.
  • "Imperialized" versions of otherwise balanced beers. i.e. "Imperial" Pilsner, Witbier, etc. Now it just tastes like a fruity or hoppy malt liquor. Good job; you added more malt to a classic. No thanks.
  • Beers that are brewed to taste like anything but beer. (Looking your way, Short's Brewing Co.) This is also why I don't like 99% of Pumkin beers. Try your damnedest to make a beer taste like a pumkin pie, but it's too far removed from beer. Marshmallow beer? Key Lime Pie Ale? Double Chocolate Fudge Imperial Bourbon barrel aged Coffee Stout? Give me a break. Just order the food and pair it with your favorite beer.
  • Last, but not least: Black IPA, or "Cascadian Dark Ale." Are you f--king kidding me? There's multiple reasons why this style sucks. First, ask yourself what the two traits in beer that hipster-newb types strive to be seen drinking and/or talk about. 1) Dark and 2) hoppy. The obvious amelioration from those is a dark hoppy beer, right? Except that the astringencies from strong hop bitterness and light bodied roast clash with each other as well as the bright floral hop flavor...hard. They don't even smell good. It's an assault on your taste buds, and in insult to those who actually put in effort to balance their beers. "But...but...this brewery made it dark without the roasty character, so it doesn't clash!" OK, then, why make it black? For appearance? How genuine. That's the Crystal Pepsi of beer. No thanks.

That said, I love most all other styles of beer, and will try just about anything at least once.

Any of the "Belgian" hybrids. i.e. "Belgian" IPA, Pale, etc. The esters of Belgian yeasts just do not meld well with the different (contrasting) fruity hop aromas and strong bitterness. You can't just ferment an otherwise good style with Trappist yeast and call it a success. It's just plain lazy, and I tend to not respect the opinion of anyone who likes those styles.

I don't get why you have to go as far as to not respect someone's opinion because they like Belgian hybrid beers. It's not like they think Blue Moon is craft beer, they like a hybrid style that you don't. I also don't see how it's any more lazy to ferment an American IPA with a Belgian yeast instead of American, particularly when some actually take care into the hops additions and grain bill to pick something out that would work well with Belgian flavors.

I don't get why you have to go as far as to not respect someone's opinion because they like Belgian hybrid beers. It's not like they think Blue Moon is craft beer, they like a hybrid style that you don't. I also don't see how it's any more lazy to ferment an American IPA with a Belgian yeast instead of American, particularly when some actually take care into the hops additions and grain bill to pick something out that would work well with Belgian flavors.

Fair question. First, I tend to not respect the opinion of someone who likes Belgian hybrid styles (specifically "Belgian" IPA, and "Belgian" Pale - i.e. hoppy beers fermented with Trappist yeast) because they just plain don't work. I've tried many, many different examples that came highly recommended by fans of the style, and all had an inherent clash to them. Consequently, I don't tend to heed recommendations from someone who enjoys such a style, as we apparently have different standards in what we're looking for in a beer. To enjoy a style that lacks that intrinsic balance requires a different palate than mine, so I tend not to pay respect to opinions from such a palate (although not as an absolute - there are of course exceptions).

Second, I don't mean "lazy" as in lack of calories burned; I mean it in the sense that it's a lazy assumption that since Belgian classics are good and IPAs are good, surely an IPA fermented with Belgian yeast must be good. There appeared to be a surge in these styles a few years back, but I'm seeing less and less of them on the shelves recently. I believe some fans have come around to realize it was more a novelty and not the miracle that they once thought.

This being an opinion thread, keep in mind I'm just ranting a bit. I do appreciate others' opinions that differ from mine. I've seen a few people here claim their disgust for sour beers. I love sours, but I can understand why some might not. That's what gives us such a rich brewing culture, a broad spectrum of beer, and unique approaches to old classics. Some I like, some just don't do it for me. I do have some strong opinions when it comes to beer, but I will never tell anyone that they shouldn't drink something just because I don't like it.

I didn't read all 14 pages of this so I'm sure my replies mimic several others but the styles I cannot stand are:

-Black IPA's
-Belgian dubbles and quads (to love me a good triple though)
-Scotch Ales

belgian IPAs

I love Belgians and I love IPAs

I want to love Belgian IPAs but havent found one yet that worked for me.

No a fan of huge barrel aged stouts

You might've had it, but I found Raging ***** by Flying Dog to be very good.

Saisons would be #1 on my list. I have tried but just don't care for the style. Also don't care for most fruit flavored beers.

A while ago I would have just said IPAs but after some research I've realized I really hate Cascade hops, which a lot of IPAs have. I can immediately tell if a beer has cascade in it. Also, anything really over about 60 IBU isn't really my jam

Belgian style beers get me.

I believe saison is in there?

It may be the yeast or whatever that particular flavor is in all of those beers can just get dumped if you ask me. I could never brew such a thing.

I don't know what it is, but there is a flavor that I don't like. It's like rosemary to me; I can't eat anything with that in it either.

I like most other beers.

Sours
Anything Brett
Banana tasting Belgians
Flavored stouts that make them way too sweet

strong ales...had so many nasty ones that just taste salty...
one from Ballast Point turned out okay, since they upped the alcohol with honey and sat it on some apricots, but it's definitely not my go to.
i have nothing against any other styles

Sours for me. It is all the rage here in Austin, but it just reminds me of the times I left the mash after brewing overnight before cleaning it out.

I hate just about anything malty. The closest I've found that I like are some hoppier lagers. Even an amber ale like Fat Tire is too much malty sweetness for me, forget about any porters or stouts.

Not a fan of the Saisons. To me, some of them remind me of a beer I made years ago that I lost temperature control on and it wound up fermenting too warm. One of them tasted just like it in fact.

I did have a taste of something not too long ago that was actually pretty decent. I don't know what it was, a friend of mine just said "here taste this...". It was sour but good.

Wheat beers are not my favorite either but I can have a couple every so often as long its not too strong tasting.

Latest posts

Back