Style you will never brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rauchbier. Don't know why, I love real barbecue but can't stand smoked beers

bwarbiany said:
For those of you (and I'm one of them) afraid to do a sour due to introducing cold-side bugs into your brewery, there are still options... I do a gose with 25% acid malt, which gives me a sour without introducing any errant bacteria. You can do that for a gose or a berliner weisse rather easily. Or, you can try the sour mash option. Yes, it relies on bacteria, but it's all on the hot side of the house, so no bugs get anywhere near your fermenter or kegs/taps/lines.

Worth a try if you want to do a sour but don't want the hassle of the bugs.

I might have to try that one day because I love sour beer, but don't really want the hassle of making one. But please everyone for the love of beer and all that is holy don't artificially sour your beer with acid blend. I had a beer made like that from a local home brew club years back. It tasted like someone dissolved about twenty packets of lemon lime beer salt in my 4 oz sample.

ClayHenry said:
Oyster stout. To me, that is the epitome of putting weird stuff in beer just for the sake of doing it. But, to each his own...

It's not nearly as weird as you'd think. Porter and oysters is one of the classic pairings... pretty sure at one point it was right up there with wine and cheese.

And the beer itself doesn't taste like oysters.... there's just a pleasant briney flavor to it, kind of like how good oysters taste like the sea.

Probably a russian imperial stout. Used to be one of my favorite styles. But now I am just into brewing low alcohol content stuff. Gotta watch the calories

This thread is very interesting. Shows just how different everybody dfeels about certain styles. A lot of posters said they would never brew a Belgian......They are my favorites and I brew them often.

Someone mentioned Oyster Stout...YUM.

I can't really say there is any style I would never brew because I like pretty much any brew. I have a huge pipeline so brewing something that I may not drink a lot of is actually pretty interesting to me. It is not like I am going to run out of beer and be forced to drink a lot of it alll at once.

Belgians or Hefe's. I really try to like them, but can never get through more than a sip or two of every one i've tried.

The girlfriend likes them, so maybe i'll make one if she asks and just not drink it. Or break up with her. To be determined.

beergolf said:
This thread is very interesting. Shows just how different everybody dfeels about certain styles.

I agree. That's why I started this thread. I like to see how everyone's tastes differ. Like I view hops just as a necessary evil and do not like IPAs, but there's a lot of brewers that love them.

I will never brew a lager. I just don't like them. Too much hassle with fermentation temperatures and all of my top 5 styles of beer are ales which is about all I tend to brew for a given 4 season cycle thru the year.

I'm unlikely to make any weizen or a barley wine because I don't care for the styles. I don't expect to make any IPAs either, but it's a broad enough style that I won't say never. Probably no sours, either.

I'm not going to brew a classic american pilsner, or pretty much anything that requires corn syrup or rice syrup to be 'authentic'. Flaked maize or rice doesn't really interest me, either. I'm not sure what the point of doing Bud clones is, except to enter them in competitions.

Lot's of stuff I haven't brewed yet. Not because I don't want to. More like, "I haven't gotten around to doing that style yet."

I can't say I'll never brew a lager because you just never know. Someday, when I get the right equipment I would like to do a pilsner.

Our club had an ESB tasting a few weeks ago. Hated every single entry. So I can see with a small degree of certainty that I won't ever brew an ESB.

On a funny note, I see a lot of mentions like, "I'll never do a fruit beer." Roughly 25% of the brews I've done have been fruit beer. The guys at the club give me a hard time and call me the guy that brews ***** beers but then they rave and say how good they are.

I'll never do a lager, because I really just don't care for most (relative to about a dozen styles of ales at least). I doubt I'll ever do a sour; I really like sour and would love to brew one but I don't know if I have the ability to make it come out right.

I will never brew a lager. I just don't like them. Too much hassle with fermentation temperatures and all of my top 5 styles of beer are ales which is about all I tend to brew for a given 4 season cycle thru the year.

In no way at all do I care about Lagers.... So while I don't hate or dislike them, I probably won't ever brew one.

Right now I'm not ruling anything out. I'm in an area that's just now opening up to craft beers. Many of the styles I've never tried. So far, I've never met a beer I didn't like. Some, just from the sound of them, I'd approach a little carefully, but it's an education. I thought I'd hate IPAs because I had the notion that they were simply about the bittrness. Then I had a good one and brewed 200 gallons of the stuff. The same with Belgian ale. I had a mediocre one a while back and scratched them off my list until a friend handed me a Rochefort 10. Now I can't brew enough of the stuff. I'm also seeing that the art of brewing is every bit as fun as quaffing the stuff so I've love to try every style at least a few times.

Not that I wouldn't like to, but I don't see myself ever going through the trouble of making an Eisbock. I like them as beers, but it just seems like more trouble than it's worth.

I can't see myself doing any kind of lambic. The idea of going for a good tasting wild strain of yeast and hoping for the best seems like too much of a chance with the dollars.

The much maligned Light American Lager is actually a pretty good brew with the AHS recipe. It's basically just 5 lbs of extra pale extract and hops. It's the Standard American Lager that I won't brew again - I'm not sure what it is, maybe the corn syrup, but it gives me a headache.

I do not have one of these... Even if I am not a huge fan of a beer I will brew one just to see if I can make one that is "to style" that I will like.

I am currently even planning a stein beer (have not seen that one mentioned).

Wit and Barleywine. I'll probably try all the others at some point although I've never had a sour I liked.

Something about shandy's I can't stand. I'm allll about hefeweizen's, cream ales and wheats. But I have never, and likely will never, make/like a shandy.

Probably a lager. If only because I don't see myself ever wanting to buy the equipment to make it so.

Pilsner. I've sampled 'em in an attempt to develop an appreciation. No sir, I didn't like it. I can't see myself making one, unless it's in a science-experiment kind of way (quest to make one of everything).

Plus, there's the whole lagering thing. And at the end, for your trouble, you end up with a bottle of what tastes to me like lite bodied sulfur pee.

I can't really think of any style I wouldn't EVER want to brew. I like nearly every style so long as the recipe and beer is well executed.
Maybe...Imperial wheat beer? I don't see myself doing that. Sam Adams version was just awful, like spiked cake frosting.
Sours are so worth the small amount of extra (in my case old) gear.

Something about shandy's I can't stand. I'm allll about hefeweizen's, cream ales and wheats. But I have never, and likely will never, make/like a shandy.

what's a shandy in your parlance? to me it's beer mixed with soda, if that's the case then i can guess what the 'something' is about them you cant stand- perhaps the soda?!

(not to be confused with the british 'hand shandy' that's more of an activity)

dinnerstick said:
what's a shandy in your parlance? to me it's beer mixed with soda, if that's the case then i can guess what the 'something' is about them you cant stand- perhaps the soda?!

(not to be confused with the british 'hand shandy' that's more of an activity)

Yeah, I forgot about the ambiguity of the word "shandy".

I'm referring to one of the American versions, usually a lager or wheat ale mixed with lemonade pre-bottling.

An IPA, I've brewed one before for a friend and I've drank a few in my day, but every IPA i've had has made me belch incredibly bad. I just can't take a night of burping those citrusy hops over and over.

IPA

I said I would never brew a pale ale but I am going to do a SN pale ale clone next. I love that beer.

SNPA is an IPA. They are trying to be avant garde by calling it a WAY over the top PA instead of a decent IPA.

Lagers. I just don't see the point.

I would have to say fruit beers are at the top of my list of "not to brew", but I am also not a big fan of Scottish and Irish Ales.....there is just something about them that makes me want to gag.

At the moment I can't see myself doing most lagers (just not a fan) or any sours. You never know, though. I'm hesitant to say "never" just because I might get bored at some point or I might try a commercial example that I love so much I want to try to re-create it.

Back