Stupid smack packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osoling

Reaction score
Is much do I need to worry if one of the cells in my smack pack didn't burst? There are two cells inside. One broke, and obviously, one didnt. I poured the contents into my wort. Bad idea? Good idea? I'm doomed. What should I expect?

This is Wyeast right?
Did the pack expand? You are supposed to leave it to expand in the package before opening (1-3 hours). Some are aggressive in expanding fast, and others are slower (some packs don't expand- they are bunk).
Wait 24 hours and then if it isn't bubbling, add a pack of dry yeast if you can get one in the appropriate style. Post any info you can so that folks can give you a good plan (IE beer style, # of Gallons, and the recipe if possible)

The yeast is in the main package, not the little thing you smack; that only has the nutrient that makes the pack swell. So you did pour all the yeast into the wort.

As an aside, if your wort was bigger than about 1.040 (and probably even if it was less), you should make a starter. Search the forum for several thousand threads discussing why...

You don't even technically have to "smack" the pack. If you just opened it and dumped it into wort it would still ferment. The idea behind the smack pack is to prove the yeast are viable before they are pitched. In the future, if you are worried about it, make a starter. It is recommended to do that with liquid yeast anyway. Your beer will be fine! :mug:

I've only used smack packs once, and, little to my knowledge it didn't burst after multiple smackings. I ended up pitching it as is. Fermentation went fine. That beer went into bottles yesterday.

I was looking at some recipes the other day and when I saw a few that used smack packs, I had the urge to avoid them or find a comparable non-smack-pack yeast.

Is there some advantage to these smack packs that I'm unaware of? Why do they bother?

You can get yeasts more specific to a particular style in the smack packs & vilas compared to dry yeasts. I've gotten WYeast smack packs with 2 or even 3 nutrient packets inside. It can be tough sometimes to keep them located inside the pack to smck them. Or only one bursts open. I had one with 3 nutrient packs once where I had to smak it so hard,the lil sealed pinhole in the bottom they fill'em with poped. Lost about half the bloody yeast. Took an extra day to get going,but was fine in an average gravity ale/hybrid lager I was making.

I've only used smack packs once, and, little to my knowledge it didn't burst after multiple smackings. I ended up pitching it as is. Fermentation went fine. That beer went into bottles yesterday.

I was looking at some recipes the other day and when I saw a few that used smack packs, I had the urge to avoid them or find a comparable non-smack-pack yeast.

Is there some advantage to these smack packs that I'm unaware of? Why do they bother?

White labs has more or less the same styles of liquid yeast, but you need to make a starter for them as well. As stated before, you don't even have to smack the pack.

Here is a link that shows the yeast types that different breweries use as well as how White Labs compares to Wyeast in their yeast types.

The Smack Packs are supposed to help jump start the yeast and provide a sort of starter. And you can "proof" the yeast with them because they swell.

I prefer White Labs, personally. I like the little vials they come in and it's easy to make a starter for any beer that requires one, and it's easy to just pop the top and pitch for those that don't. I've tried the Wyeast packs, but just don't think they are better.

The Wyeast smack packs are great (ALWAYS check the date on the package before buying), some swell fast and some slow, as is your fermentation. I failed to burst the nutrient pack, and the only downside was there was no notable fermentation for about three days when I usually get activity within ten hours.

The Smack Packs are supposed to help jump start the yeast and provide a sort of starter. And you can "proof" the yeast with them because they swell.

I prefer White Labs, personally. I like the little vials they come in and it's easy to make a starter for any beer that requires one, and it's easy to just pop the top and pitch for those that don't. I've tried the Wyeast packs, but just don't think they are better.

How do you keep the vials from exploding ? I can never open a white labs vial without it fizzing and losing some yeast, even if i did the cracking a little at a time. Soon as the first crack then yeast spews.

my lhbs carries fresh white labs and old Wyeast, otherwise id never use them

Edit: I've never had a problem with Wyeast whether swollen or not, but i usually make a starter

How do you keep the vials from exploding ? I can never open a white labs vial without it fizzing and losing some yeast, even if i did the cracking a little at a time. Soon as the first crack then yeast spews.

my lhbs carries fresh white labs and old Wyeast, otherwise id never use them

Edit: I've never had a problem with Wyeast whether swollen or not, but i usually make a starter

I keep mine in the fridge until I use them, then as soon as I pull one from the fridge, I crack the seal and let some pressure out. Then I only screw the cap on enough to touch and let it sit out to warm up while I gather my starter supplies.This allows the yeast to warm up and release the pressure.

Right before I use the vial I crack it open, then tighten it right down again and shake the yeast in to suspension. Then I crack it back open again, slowly, and pour the yeast into the starter (or wort)

I haven't had one explode on me yet doing this. I will agree they can make a mess if you aren't careful.

This is Wyeast right?
Did the pack expand? You are supposed to leave it to expand in the package before opening (1-3 hours). Some are aggressive in expanding fast, and others are slower (some packs don't expand- they are bunk).
Wait 24 hours and then if it isn't bubbling, add a pack of dry yeast if you can get one in the appropriate style. Post any info you can so that folks can give you a good plan (IE beer style, # of Gallons, and the recipe if possible)

Don't jump right to pitching dry yeast if no activity after 24 hours. If you only pitched one smack pack you probably under pitched, meaning that the lag phase where more cells are developed to reach a proper colony size will be longer. Give your yeast time to work, and it might not really get going until 48 hours or maybe even more.

The good news... I pitched like I said and all is going well. Airlock is bubbling like crazy.

I learned a lot from your posts. Thanks to all.

Back