Stupid question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbone

Reaction score
I have made several batches now, but only allow my beer to be in the primary for 10 days and then I bottle or keg. If I allow it to stay in the primary longer or move to secondary would it change the taste of the beer?

Not really unless you shouldnt have any problems unless you leave it on the yeast and trub for an extended period of time. Yer guud

Stupid is "What does SWMBO MEAN"?

I did an IPA, split the batch, bottled 2 gallons at 10 days, bottled the other 3 at 21 days. THERE IS NO Difference in flavor. The secondary version has a lot less junk at the bottom of the bottle, and it a bit more clear.

Give it a shot and let me know what you find out.

yes on top of being more clear too.

1-2-3 method is the norm.

1 week primary 2 weeks secondary 3 weeks bottle/keg.

I personally do 2 weeks primary- 2 Secondary 1 week Keg.

So long as it was in the primary for fermentation to finish, you could technically bottle it then. However, I keep my stuff in the primary and secondary for at least 2 weeks, this is for clearing the beer and letting everything fall out. Which would happen in the bottles if done right away, however you would have about an inch of gunk in the butt of all your beers. I don't believe you will have noticeable changes in the taste though. Remember though, you must bottle condition your beers, that cannot be detoured.

I'm in a different camp than those above. Beer being drunk 35 days from brewing is green in my book. My schedule is usually 2 weeks primary, 3 to 4 weeks secondary, 4 to 6 weeks in bottle or keg. I think bulk aging changes (improves) the flavor a lot.
Also, I don't like my beers to ever have more sediment than a commercial bottle conditioned beer. Aging it in the clearing tanks takes care of the quite nicely.

Thanks for your info, so you must have a room full of beer, how do you keep up with the dating of the beers?

Latest posts

Back