Stupid bottle washing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
I searched for this but the search brings back alot of responses (and I cycled threw a few)...so sorry if this has already been answered. I always soak my bottles in the sanatization mix before I bottle so let's get that out of the way first.

Basically, I open up my homebrew, pour it into my glass, then rinse out the bottle with tap water about two times and let it dry hanging upside down. Will this be good enough or should I soak it in my detergent solution (Step 3 or whatever that one's called) a day before I bottle then the sanatizer right before bottling?

Sorry for the stupid noobish question. :cross:

This is basically what I do along with shaking the bottle and draining, refilling, etc., The number of times you rinse is not as important as how well you rinse.

After rinsing I check the bottom of the bottle for any residue, usually good to go, then one step further and check the neck for any rings.

If there's a ring I seperate these and clean these seperately. I use a bottle brush attached to my cordless drill and clean with that.

I do like you do - rinse the bottle after pouring. Hold it up to the light - if the bottom is clear, you're good.

On bottling day, all bottles get a blast of hot water with a bottle washer - then another visual check. Dirty ones go to a bucket for a bleach bath when the bucket is full. Clean ones get a shot of StarSan with a Vinator and onto the sanitized bottling tree until filled.

After pouring a glass of brew, I fill the bottle with tap water and let it sit that way over night in the sink. The next day I jet the bottles out and sink them in a bucket of StarSan solution. After a while I resurrect them to the bottle tree to dry.

The day of bottling I start the sanitizing process anew. The 'double handling' assures a clean outcome. Be sure and sanitize the bottle tree prongs and the jet washer.

I basically pour my glass, then rinse THREE times. The additional step is well worth the effort! YOu simply just can't get a bottle clean with only two rinses!

Ok, just foolin. I do the same thing as you, except I can't help but look at the bottom to make sure I got all the gunk out. You're golden.

+1 on the three time rinse and a quick look to make sure the bottle is clear before storing

I also run the bottles in the bottom rack of the dishwasher prior to bottling: 1 time with some detergent then rerun one more time with no detergent and the heatdry on to sanitize

I searched for this but the search brings back alot of responses (and I cycled threw a few)...so sorry if this has already been answered. I always soak my bottles in the sanatization mix before I bottle so let's get that out of the way first.

Basically, I open up my homebrew, pour it into my glass, then rinse out the bottle with tap water about two times and let it dry hanging upside down. Will this be good enough or should I soak it in my detergent solution (Step 3 or whatever that one's called) a day before I bottle then the sanatizer right before bottling?

Sorry for the stupid noobish question. :cross:

I do the exact same thing and was wondering if I should soak my bottles in bleach/water and rinse them before I put them into the dishwasher.

Call me silly for not figuring this out earlier, but I just found out that the bottle necks can fit in the slots on my top dishwasher rack (instead of over the pegs, because i can't slide the rack in that way), and they stay upside down during the entire cycle. Of course, I just moved into a place with a dishwasher in September after not having one for most of the many years since I left my parents' house, so it didn't take me too long to find out.

I guess YMMV depending on dishwasher model.

Also, we've been bringing clean bottles to the bottling ritual and additionally rinsing them with the spray washer just prior to bottling. Have to shake them out but I think it guarantees being fairly sanitary. Usually we have 3 or 4 of us bottling at a time, which makes it much easier to do that last rinse.

Call me silly for not figuring this out earlier, but I just found out that the bottle necks can fit in the slots on my top dishwasher rack (instead of over the pegs, because i can't slide the rack in that way), and they stay upside down during the entire cycle. Of course, I just moved into a place with a dishwasher in September after not having one for most of the many years since I left my parents' house, so it didn't take me too long to find out.

This is probably pretty typical. They fit in my dishwasher perfectly as well. I can get about 40 on the bottom and the last 10-12 go in the top rack.

Question for a noob as I'll be bottling my first batch soon. I have some no rinse sanitizer in a bucket from when I brewed my first batch of beer today. I've got a couple cases worth of bottles that I have rinsed out as I collected them and have been storing them in a box upside down for a while now.

I was thinking I could start dunking them in the sanitizer tonight and then drip dry them using my dishwasher rack. After that I'd put a small piece of plastic wrap over the bottle top to keep out bad stuff and put them back in the case until I bottle in a few weeks.

Any key things that I am missing? Would I need to just spray the dishwasher rack down with sanitizer or spray the whole dishwasher insides as well to be safe? I'd like to make use of all the extra sanitation mix I have here and to get a head start on this bottle sanitizing.

I'm going to be bottling my first batch soon too and I was wondering the same thing. I have a bunch of bottles that I've saved that I rinsed immediately after pouring the beer in a glass. I only rinsed them once though but I plan to use a bottle washer to give them a good blast of hot water before sanitizing.

My dishwasher is a cheapo and doesn't have a sanitize setting, but I was thinking it makes an excellent drying rack after they've been dunked in sanitizer.

Question for a noob as I'll be bottling my first batch soon. I have some no rinse sanitizer in a bucket from when I brewed my first batch of beer today. I've got a couple cases worth of bottles that I have rinsed out as I collected them and have been storing them in a box upside down for a while now.

I was thinking I could start dunking them in the sanitizer tonight and then drip dry them using my dishwasher rack. After that I'd put a small piece of plastic wrap over the bottle top to keep out bad stuff and put them back in the case until I bottle in a few weeks.

Any key things that I am missing? Would I need to just spray the dishwasher rack down with sanitizer or spray the whole dishwasher insides as well to be safe? I'd like to make use of all the extra sanitation mix I have here and to get a head start on this bottle sanitizing.

I'm going to be bottling my first batch soon too and I was wondering the same thing. I have a bunch of bottles that I've saved that I rinsed immediately after pouring the beer in a glass. I only rinsed them once though but I plan to use a bottle washer to give them a good blast of hot water before sanitizing.

My dishwasher is a cheapo and doesn't have a sanitize setting, but I was thinking it makes an excellent drying rack after they've been dunked in sanitizer.

Keep in mind that a sanitizing solution only sanitizes as long as the item is wet. Once it dries, then the sanitizing "magic" is gone. If that's a risk you're willing to take, then you could sanitize in advance. I would not. It only takes about 20 minutes total to sanitize 50 bottles. I'd do it right before bottling.

Back