Stuck Sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specharka

Reaction score
The last 3 batches or so I've gotten stuck sparges (Belgian DIPA, Red Ale, Pumpkin Ale). I've ascertained a few reasons why they might be getting stuck:

1. Too much protein in the grist, and no protein rest. The last two batches (Belgian DIPA, Red Ale) employed about 15-20% wheat malt. The pumpkin ale had 6 lbs of pumpkin in the mash so that's pretty self-explanatory. Since the malt I use is so well-modified, I am hesitant to adopt a protein rest.

2. Double crush on the malt. I keep getting uncrushed grain at my LHBS with a single mill pass, so I have been double crushing recently. This has boosted my yield (>90% lauter) but the grist compacts much more than with a single crush.

3. Braided hose for a mash screen. I just ordered a false bottom from NB, but unfortunately it didn't arrive in time for my latest brew. I've definitely noticed some channeling, especially once the mash gets compacted, so I'm hoping that the false bottom helps a bit.

Mash thickness has been ruled out as a cause. Although I usually mash quite thick (1.0 - 1.2 qt/lb), my most recent batch was mashed at 1.9 qt/lb and still endured a stuck sparge.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Try rice hulls in your next mash. They help with avoiding stuck sparges and don't impact flavor.

I've used them in the past in a Belgian Wit, but I was using about 50% wheat in the grist. Did not think it was necessary for a small percentage like 15-20%.

With a tighter crush, I've added rice hulls to more of my grin bills to offset the crush. I generally see about 87% efficiency with no stuck sparge.

If you aren't doing this already, when you start draining start with the valve open 1/4 of the way to let the grain bed settle a bit. Then gradually open it up. Also I ditched the braided hose and just go with a kettle screen. Let the vorlauf do is thing and you won't transfer to much material to the kettle.

If you aren't doing this already, when you start draining start with the valve open 1/4 of the way to let the grain bed settle a bit. Then gradually open it up. Also I ditched the braided hose and just go with a kettle screen. Let the vorlauf do is thing and you won't transfer to much material to the kettle.

I built a CPVC manifold for mine. The kettle screen leaves behind about 1/2 gallon more wort than the manifold does. I, also, tend to get about 3% better efficiency with the manifold. OTOH, the kettle screen is easier to use and less issues with bumping it with the mash paddle!

I use a kettle screen wrapped with a panit strainer bag in my Coleman xl. Never any issue here.

Just spray it off and shake it once dry.
I use a bazooka screen, to be more specific

The last 3 batches or so I've gotten stuck sparges (Belgian DIPA, Red Ale, Pumpkin Ale). I've ascertained a few reasons why they might be getting stuck:

1. Too much protein in the grist, and no protein rest. The last two batches (Belgian DIPA, Red Ale) employed about 15-20% wheat malt. The pumpkin ale had 6 lbs of pumpkin in the mash so that's pretty self-explanatory. Since the malt I use is so well-modified, I am hesitant to adopt a protein rest.

2. Double crush on the malt. I keep getting uncrushed grain at my LHBS with a single mill pass, so I have been double crushing recently. This has boosted my yield (>90% lauter) but the grist compacts much more than with a single crush.

3. Braided hose for a mash screen. I just ordered a false bottom from NB, but unfortunately it didn't arrive in time for my latest brew. I've definitely noticed some channeling, especially once the mash gets compacted, so I'm hoping that the false bottom helps a bit.

Mash thickness has been ruled out as a cause. Although I usually mash quite thick (1.0 - 1.2 qt/lb), my most recent batch was mashed at 1.9 qt/lb and still endured a stuck sparge.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I would focus on #2 and #3. Sounds like you already know what to do to help, you just need to go do them. If the false bottom doesn't solve your problem completely, I would give up 10% efficiency to get rid of stuck sparges. Rice hulls will help, also, but I would do the other items first.

Back