Stuck Sparge and Low Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou1998

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am currently using a three roller monster mill at factory settings to grind my grain. Batch sparging with a 48 qt cooler and hose braid, I am getting stuck mashes and about 70% efficiency. I am not using wheat in my beers.
I mash at 150-155 deg and add water for a mash out to take the grist temp to 168 deg.
My efficiency has been consistent at 70%, but I feel I should be a little bit higher. Most of the advise I see is to use a finer crush, but I have the problem with stuck sparges.
I read through the stickies and several of the other posts here but can't really figure out what I can do to fix both problems.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lou

I've heard people have problems with the braids sometimes. Though the monster mill default gap should be fine though. Maybe try a hotter sparge to reduce the viscosity of the mash? You shouldn't have to worry about tannin extraction in such small volumes.....so I've heard.

I've had a lot of issues with stuck sparges. Here's what I've tried that seems to have really resolved it.

1) Don't open your MT valve all the way. Open it slowly so as not to compact grain bed and don't open all the way.

2) I made a manifiold with hack sawed slits in copper. I then put the copper inside a nylon bag, just to be safe.

3) Use rice hulls for 3-5% of your recipe.

This has worked for me after MANY times with slow/stuck sparges. I use a RIMS so stuck sparges are usually a disaster.

Hope that helps a bit. Let us know.

Back