Stuck on pot size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppheadIPA

Reaction score
I just got into all grain with 3 batches under my belt. I currently have a 7.5 gallon pot. It works ok, but really can't do and boil time over 60 minutes. I'm looking at a 10 or 15 gallon pot. Not too sure where to go. Is there a such thing as too big? Should I get the ball valve for it? Any recommendations will be good. I'm looking to spend no more than $200

a 10gal is ideal for 5gal batches. a 15 gal pot/keggle conversion will let you make 10 gallon batches...but you'll need a burner that can heat that much water/wort.

the 7.5gal will make a good HLT.

I just got into all grain with 3 batches under my belt. I currently have a 7.5 gallon pot. It works ok, but really can't do and boil time over 60 minutes. I'm looking at a 10 or 15 gallon pot. Not too sure where to go. Is there a such thing as too big? Should I get the ball valve for it? Any recommendations will be good. I'm looking to spend no more than $200

Get at least a 15 gallon pot, or covert a keg (15.5 gallons), with a 10 gallon pot you will reserve yourself to only being able to brew ~8 gallon batches, a 15 gallon vessel will allow you to brew 10 gallons at a time.

A valve is nice to have, especially if your plans include a pump in the future. I purchased a B315 pot from www.morebeer.com and have been fairly satisfied with it, my only complaint is that my boil-off rate is ridiculous so I have to have about 13 gallons for a 10 gallon batch, and that puts the wort dangerously close to the top of the pot, otherwise for heating, a flat (clad-bottomed) pot will heat better than a converted keg, but a converted keg will cost you a fraction of a nice 15 gallon SS pot.

Bigger the better, with reservation of course. Yes too big exists, you don't want to be brewing 5 gal batches in a 30 gal kettle, it's just not efficient. I'm just brewing my 23rd batch today and around #20 I started brewing 10 gallon batches. I find this to be the optimal size, for now at least. 2 carboys produced in a brew session. Of course, I have 2 brew partners and a load of friends sucking down everything I brew so 10 gal lets me brew "only" once a week. And for 10 gallons you need at least a 15 gal keg. 90 min boils can get tricky.

I don't think I'll ever be doing 10 gallon batches but who knows. Is a 15 gallon pot good for 5 gallon batches?

Damn, yeah I just realized how dumb that was. I also said I wouldn't let this hobby take over all my free time. I was wrong!!!!

It cost me 42 $ by usps so didnt paid the custom fees!
Cost me 110 $ canadian for a 50 Qt pot
A 30 QT pot in store found at 150 $ plus taxes, 175 $ canadian ;)

It cost me 42 $ by usps so didnt paid the custom fees!
Cost me 110 $ canadian for a 50 Qt pot
A 30 QT pot in store found at 150 $ plus taxes, 175 $ canadian ;)

That is ridiculous shipping.

And those are crazy prices for 30qt pots. I think you guys are getting rolled on those cheap ass pots up there. I've got a few of those at about 20qts that I got for less than $20 at the cheap-ass made-in-china stores.

Have you thought about going aluminum? I bought a 40 qt aluminum stock pot from sams club website for about $45, including shipping. I boiled about 9 gallons of water (that took a little while, lol) to build an oxide layer and it's made a couple of really good batches for me. I'm very satisfied. Go to their website and search "stock pot." They have good prices on bigger pots too, if you want to get a 15 gallon one.

I would suggest a converted keg. They are 15.5 gal so you can do either 5 or 10 gallon batches easy. In fact I have one for sale if you want. I am in Md, its a little bit of a drive from virginia beach but not too bad. PM me if you are interested.

i use a 15 gallon aluminum pot as a boil kettle. works great for 5 gallon batches, and comes in handy when i do a 6.5 gallon batch with a 90 min boil

I just bought a big, heavy duty 15 gallon aluminum pot at a small thrift store in Texas for $200. Did my first double batch yesterday and found out that it leaked from the handles where it has been riveted in place. So much for that "deal".

Also, it was really hard to get it boiling. The base was really wide (approx 24" diameter) and I could barely get a small boil going on my propane burner. So, I'm wondering how good those keggles are at getting a good rolling boil going. And do they take forever to get 10 gallons to a good boil?

I just bought a big, heavy duty 15 gallon aluminum pot at a small thrift store in Texas for $200. Did my first double batch yesterday and found out that it leaked from the handles where it has been riveted in place. So much for that "deal".

U could get it on ebay the link I posted for less than this and stainless steel :)

I would definitely get t least a 15 gallon, or a keggle, that would be much cheaper, I started with a keggle doing 5 gallon batches, now I have a 24 gallon stainless kettle and it is just right to do 17.5 gallon batches, you all that have trouble boiling in the bigger kettles should get yourself a jet burner (King Kooker) is the one that I have, you will no longer be wqiting for the boil to happen. Good luck on your purchase.:mug:

what pot are you looking at? I have the 10 gallon megapot and it boils off about a gallon per 30 minute. I brew 5 gallon batches (roughly). I started brewing six gallon batches actually expecting to lose a gallon due to hops and trub.

for a six gallon batch I have to start with just over 8 gallons pre-boil which is just about an inch and half from the VERY top of the pot.

If you are going megapot I would get the 15. They are wide and not very tall.

I can't speak to the other brands of pots as I don't know the dimensions or other factors.

FYI, go straight to kegging too! I wish I would have started kegging rather thand ealing with bottling. On of the things I wish I could go back in time and change.

Back