Stuck Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluegrassyBrewer

Reaction score
So my first batch for the first 2 days was going along nicely, at about 2 airlock bubbles per second. But then this morning I woke up and it had stopped. Sat there for a good two minutes and saw no bubbling in the airlock, and it's only the third day. I'm making a pumpkin spice ale, is this normal? I also noticed some condensation in the air lock....could this mean my closet is too cold?

Two days and you're worried about stuck fermentation? Don't ask about that for another two weeks.

It is not uncommon for bubbling to stop as your yeast may be done with it's big party. Bubbling means nothing. That does not mean your yeast is finished! It's got a lot more to do before it's finished. Leave it alone for a couple weeks then take an hydrometer reading.

The hydrometer tells all - let us know.
Or you could take a reading every couple of days to see that its moving.
But as the above poster said - just give it a couple of days.

I have done over 215 batches. I have never experienced a stuck fermentation. I have experienced extra long fermentations and extra short fermentations but never has one stuck on its way to completion.

A needless worry. Brew another batch so you stop thinking about this one.

What they said^^^^^^^^^!!

However, the part about temp in the closet is significant. Do you have a stick thermomter on the carboy? If not, you really need to keep that closet around 65 if possible. Fermentation temp is sooo important. Buy a stick thermometer(like $2) next time you get ingredients, the yeast will thank you. And study fermentation temps.

I'm asking for my own slow fermentation at the moment... I used to brew a lot but that was about 9 beeers, I mean years ago.

I have an IPA that was humming along in primary for about a week - had it in the kitchen at 70 degrees. Racked it to secondary, added Cascade pellets and put it in the basement at 65 degrees. Came back a week later from a trip and it has slowed to one bubble a minute.

Seems like I used to shake up my carboys a little when fermentation got slow???

Howbout you relax and trust the yeast to know what they're doing...and not rely on airlock bubbling as an indication of anything...

You should never use a cheap chinese plastic airlock as a "fermentation Gauge," it's not...It's an airlock, a VALVE to release excess CO2, to keep from blowing the lid off the fermentor...If it's not bubbling that just means that there's not enough CO2 to climb out of the airlock, or the CO2 is just forming a nice cushion on top of the beer like it's supposed to, or the airlock is askew, or it is leaking out the cheap rubber grommet, or you have a leak in the bucket seal...all those are fine...if CO2 is getting out then nothing's getting in....

Over half of my beers have had no airlock activity...

The only gauge of fermentaion is your hydrometer. And it's too soon for that, so relax.

Read this, and walk away from the fermentor for a week...http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

Everything's fine...you have noobitus is all. :mug:

Latest posts

Back