Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

najel

Reaction score
Hello all!

Sorry to ask this question, I know it gets asked a lot. But this has never happened to me and I am a little stuck.
I brewed a Hefeweizen and used Wyeast 3068 for the first time, usually i go with White Labs. Anyway, I checked the gravity after one week when I usually bottle my Hefeweizen, and it was still at 1.020. Two days later, still at that. I shook it up a little bit hoping that rousing the yeast might help, but today four days later it is still at 1.020. I checked the hydrometer with distilled water and it appear to read correctly.
When I tried the beer it tasted fine to me. My question is, do you guys think it's fine to bottle? And why can this happen? Fermentation was going really strong really quick, so I don't think it was the yeast. The room had a constant 70F. My only concern is that I may mashed a little high, but would that cause it bottom out that high?

Did a large proportion of your fermentables come from extract? Some extract beers can stall out at 1.020 for some reason.

Most likely if you mashed too high it finished high. What temp did you mash?

Ok, should have mentioned that stuff earlier.
All grain, no extract
OG was 1.054
Temp target was 154, I think it was maybe more like 160. I had some issues with my thermometer. Next time I will use a different one and hopefully it goes better. But I am just not sure if that difference in mash temp could actually cause the beer to finish out that high. Seems strange to me.

So I think I might just bottle this beer this weekend. It will have been two weeks than, and it has been stagnant for so long now.

Thanks for your replies!

If your mash temp was really 160 then yes it's completely possible it finished that high!

Back