Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradyBrandBrewing

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently brewed a black ale and within about 3 days my fermentation had slowed to a crawl. The OG reading was 1.064. Currently it reads 1.038 and there is zero airlock activity. My basement has stayed between 67-72 degrees for this time so I'm not thinking temperature shock. Iv tried gently rocking the fermenter but that has produced nothing.
I did use some rose hips in the boil, first time using them so I'm not sure if they would add any un fermentables or not.

So needless to say I'm not sure what went wrong.

wort- pale 2 row. (made from a local brewery so i have no real information on the mashing they did)
1/2 lbs carahell - steeped 30 minutes at 150
1lbs black patent-steeped 30 minutes at 150
.5lbs caramel 60l -steeped 30 minutes at 150
.25lbs pale chocolate malt steeped 20 minutes at 150
---steeped for 20 m inutes at 150
1lbs extra light DME -added at boil

Hops
1oz Strisselphalt at 60 minutes
.5 perle at 15 minutes
.5 perle at 5 minutes

1oz rose hips added at 10 minutes

White labs California V yeast with starter

Is 1.038 with a refractometer??? Use a hydrometer if so.....

So you got the main wort from a brewery and then added steeped grains for flavor and color to tweak the beer?

If it's a good brewery I'll assume it was a proper mash with good fermentable wort and would assume also proper attenuation as well

Duboman,
yes the reading is with a refractometer. I just checked with the Hydrometer and it came out as 1.020, which seems much better . I'm curious as to why there might be a variance between the two methods. I always hear that the refractometer is the better way to go.

BradyBrandBrewing said:
Duboman, yes the reading is with a refractometer. I just checked with the Hydrometer and it came out as 1.020, which seems much better . I'm curious as to why there might be a variance between the two methods. I always hear that the refractometer is the better way to go.

Refractometer a requires a brix adjustment calculation due to the presence of alcohol and even with the adjustments they can be less precise than a hydrometer

Some will say that with adjustment calculators they are accurate but that's not my experience-I only use a hydrometer for FG readings.

Now be sure to calibrate your hydrometer to ensure it reads 1.000 in distilled water at 60F- make any adjustments necessary if it's not

Back