Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhobs126

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post second brew. My first brew seems to be going fine. After racking to a secondary I brewed a batch of English brown( brewers best kit) and seemed to go well. Aerated the heck out of it by pouring back and fourth and mixing a lot. Wort was 72 when I pitched a packet of slightly cooler rehydrated dry yeast. Next morning airlock was bubbling very well. Work 24 hr shift and on day 3 in the morn. , no activity whatsoever ! Don't know what to do from here?

What temp were you fermenting at? I know the wort was cooled to 72 when you began but was it higher during the day? What yeast did you use?

Did you take a hydrometer reading or are you just looking at an airlock on a bucket? In other words, how do you know it's "stuck"?

You need to check with a hydrometer to know for sure. It however could easily be pretty well finished. When I use S05 and or 04 between 65 and 68 F I always seem to have very active fermentation start in less than 6 hours and finish in about 72 hours. In any case if you don't have a hydrometer let it sit for at least a week if you are going to secondary or three weeksd if not and you should be fine.

Ok, so I ferment in my house in a closet and keep my house between 68-70. When I am at work for24 hrs I know the temp moves closer to 75. I had a OG of 1.048 and today (day 3) it is at 1.013. I guess maybe it is done? And by the way it tastes awesome!

Ok, so I ferment in my house in a closet and keep my house between 68-70. When I am at work for24 hrs I know the temp moves closer to 75. I had a OG of 1.048 and today (day 3) it is at 1.013. I guess maybe it is done? And by the way it tastes awesome!

With the temp that high you will have a little more ester production than you would want but it should be fine. I would also guess that you are finished. again if the SG stays stable for a couple days you are fine. I wouldn't get in a race anyway, give it a week if going to secondary and three weeks if not. If you can move to cooler spot you would be better off. If not you will still be OK. Look around on this site for ways to cool durring fermentation there are plenty of no cost or very low cost ways to do it, (wrap in wet towles in a tub of water with ice) you don't have to start with a temp controled fementation chamber.

Thanks for all the help. I am planning on letting it sit in primary for 2 weeks then a couple more in secondary to clean up. By the way if i am kegging can i just skip the secondary and age a bit in the corny ?

Thanks for all the help. I am planning on letting it sit in primary for 2 weeks then a couple more in secondary to clean up. By the way if i am kegging can i just skip the secondary and age a bit in the corny ?

Yup, that is a good idea since you know the beer is pretty much finished!

The two weeks should be good enough for the yeast to "finish" the job! It not always a good idea to rack to a secondary unless you need the space or are adding hops/fruit/spices or lagering!

good luck

@kevin
Why is this . I have heard this a few times. Is it just more opportunity for contamination?

@kevin
Why is this . I have heard this a few times. Is it just more opportunity for contamination?

Yes. Unless you NEED to move the beer (dry hop, etc...) then you do not NEED to move the beer. Any time you rack from one container to another, there is an increased chance of contamination or oxidation.

Personally, I like to secondary my beers. I feel it helps with clarity. Many people feel that this is not necessary, and that the beer will clear just fine in primary. Bottom line is this, though... Secondary is simply not a mandatory part of the brewing process.

Back