Stuck Fermentation - Wyeast 2112

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trderr

Reaction score
Just got the first of 2 pounds of fresh hops from my LHBS and decided to take this pound of Simcoe and make a Steam Beer with whole hops for flavoring and Aroma.

I did a full 5 gallon boil. Smack pack was purchased that day and blew up nicely.

I may have pitched a little high due to striations in temps from my wort chiller.

All the hop cones are in the bucket.

It has been 2.5 days and I am not seeing airlock activity. It seemed to start the next morning after brewing.

Current temp is ~70 degrees.

Any thoughts on why it is not moving? Temp to high or too low? should I pull out some cones with a sanitized spoon?

Appreciate any tips.

It has been 2.5 days and I am not seeing airlock activity. It seemed to start the next morning after brewing.

Confused... If you're not seeing airlock activity, what "seemed to start"?

Most will tell you airlock activity is not an indication of fermentation, etc. Is there Krausen?

Thanks for your responses. It's a good point. I have made about 50 batches of extract at this point and never not had airlock activity during fermentation.

Yesterday, I removed the hop cones with a sanitized spoon and stirred the batch. OG was about 1.050 and it was already to 1.030. There was krausen in with all those hop cones. I was fine removing them as I think they had already done their job. The beer smelled great.

I also moved it to a swamp cooler to bring the ferm temp down into the 60s. I had airlock activity within a few hours, so I am optimistic. Biggest concern with these steps was infection.

One of my favorite things about homebrewing is how I learn something new with each batch. Definitely did this time and I will check gravity. Any ideas about how I could have fermentation without airlock activity?

Latest posts

Back