Stuck fermentation / high FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdm1982

Reaction score
I'm stumped. I brewed an all grain milk stout on 1/17/16. It's OG was 1.088 but the current gravity is 1.032. Originally I pitched two packets of US-05 after aerating the cooled wort. I fermented at 67 initially and the fermentation started fast and was done after about 3-4 days. After a week I took the first hydrometer sample and it was 1.034. I rocked/swirled the carboy and raised the temp to 70. I waited 5 days and took another; still 1.034. I boiled 2 cups of water with 3 oz of corn sugar and some yeast nutrients and pitched. I saw signs of activity in the carboy within an hour. A few hours later, activity stopped. The gravity is now 1.032. The next day I made a 2L starter with WLP001. I let it go for 24 hours, decanted, pitched. Nothing. It's been a few days since pitching the starter and I'm still at 1.032. In total, its been 2.5 weeks in the primary.

I should mention I made this beer before and my OG was 1.084 and my FG was 1.023 using the same yeast and equipment. Also, I use 2 thermometers on brew days and both were teetering on 150/151 for my mash temp. Unless both thermometers lied to me, or the mash was way hotter on the bottom, I don't know how the wort could be so unfermentable. Too hot of a mashout... too hot of a sparge... bad yeast... I'm just stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks for the link. That appears to be a pretty similar situation.

Here's what I brewed:

10 lbs 6 oz - 2 Row
1 lb 6 oz - Roasted Barley
1 lb - Crystal 60L
1 lb - Chocolate Malt
1 lb - Munich Malt
14 oz - Flaked Barley
11 oz - Flaked Oats

0.3 oz - Magnum (60 min)
1 oz - East Kent Goldings (10 min)
1 lbs - Lactose Milk Sugar (10 min)

2 packets of US-05 yeast

Mashed at 151

Yeah, it might be done. On the bright side, I think Oskar Blues Ten Fidy has a final gravity around 1.030, so yours might be pretty darn good.

Edit: you can always brew a simple stout or a cream ale (anything that's not hoppy and which doesn't use a low attenuating yeast like 02 or 1728) and put the big stout on its yeast cake when it's done. Can't hurt.

Wow.... wish I had seen that link before creating this thread. I swear I did a search beforehand but I must have not seen it. That link appears to be a dead ringer for my situation. Thanks for the help. :rockin:

I'll admit, the OG got away from me... I wasn't shooting to go as high as I ended up. My drill quit working so I broke out my Popeyes and hand crushed the grain. Not sure why else the OG would be higher than normal.

It definitely seems done. The yeast was very receptive to the corn sugar / nutrient combo I added. Makes me think the yeast was never an issue; it was the lack of fermentables. My attenuation would be about 65% which isn't outrageous I suppose.

I do love me some Ten Fiddy....

Back