Stuck fermentation? feel like a noob again...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Deathweed

Reaction score
Brewed this on 10/26

Oatmeal Stout III

Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
OG 1.060

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
18.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.59 %
3.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.84 %
1.00 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.92 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.92 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 1.96 %
4.00 oz Williamette [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 29.4 IBU
2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-)

Split the batch with a friend, I don't know how his batch finished out since they left town for the holidays. I have been wanting to bottle this batch so I checked the FG 11/23 and it was 1.030. Decided that was high so I agitated the yeast cake a bit and let it sit to today. Get everything ready to bottle again, but the gravity is still at 1.030.

My options are:

1)bottle as normal, risk bottle bombs in case it is not completely done fermenting

2)bottle, but cut the priming sugar

3) re-pitch yeast and give it another few weeks

4) it tastes great, so just RDWHAHB and keg the damn thing :D

I am personally leaning toward #4, but just wanted to get some feedback from anyone else that has had a high FG after 2 months.

EDIT: Mashed at 156 for 45 minutes. I know this + the crystal + the cara-pils will leave more unfermentables, but 1.030 still seems really high to me.

Yeah, that's way, way too sweet. You're forgetting option #5, which is the ONLY one that works for me, and that is to pitch on another cake from another batch. I'm telling you, it's worked like a charm for me 4 or 5 times. Had a saison finish at 1.018, dumped it onto a witbier cake, dropped it to 1.011 in a few days.

So just put it in the corner and forget about it. Brew a british bitter. once it's done, rack it to secondary and then rack the oatie stout onto that cake. I'll be willing to bet you drop at least another 10 points.

Yeah, that's way, way too sweet. You're forgetting option #5, which is the ONLY one that works for me, and that is to pitch on another cake from another batch. I'm telling you, it's worked like a charm for me 4 or 5 times. Had a saison finish at 1.018, dumped it onto a witbier cake, dropped it to 1.011 in a few days.

So just put it in the corner and forget about it. Brew a british bitter. once it's done, rack it to secondary and then rack the oatie stout onto that cake. I'll be willing to bet you drop at least another 10 points.

I like that plan. I have a hobgoblin clone thats about ready to be racked using notty, I will give that a shot! If I get flavors from the hobgoblin in the stout, thats just awesome on awesome, I can live with that :D

Edit: sitting at 65F

Racking on to a yeast cake; what a good idea Evan! A boatload of active yeast, and it costs nothing extra. A win/win deal. I'll file that idea away for future use.

I've never thought of racking onto another cake, but I have poured about a quart of slurry in to a stuck batch. It fermented out in a few days, but I had to wait for another week for it to clear.

Racking onto another yeast cake has worked for me. I tried nearly everything one time and that was the only thing that worked.

Update:

Well, checked it again today after racking to a yeast cake back on 12-22. The gravity has dropped to a whopping 1.028! ;) I think this one is destined for the keg... It tastes great, but I don't think I will trust this one in bottles.

Hey just one more thought. I JUST got done bottling a Sammy Smith Oatmeal stout and it got sutck as well. I figured you had tried this, but I still wanted to throw this out there. I moved the carboy to my closet where there's a very unecessary heating duct. It gets nice and toasty in there (72ish when the rest of the house is around 68). Gave it a shake and it kicked back up again, dropped it from 1.024 to 1.013 which was perfect. I find its VERY hard to mantain the temp in this cold weather so my yeast is prone to going dormant mid fermentation. Just a thought!

Latest posts

Back