Stuck Ferm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tolip_ck1

Reaction score
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (2.0 SRM) Grain
1.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain
1.00 lb Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain
0.25 lb Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain
0.06 lb Chocolate Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain

OK, i measured a pre-boil from SPG of 1.060, I added the 1# of brown sugar to the boil and after the boil I ended with a 1.082 SPG

I was in primary (with crazy fermentation) for about 11 days and then I transfered into secondary, tasted and measured SPG at 1.030. (MALTY)

It does not seem to be doing anything else, I have had it in primary for a few days and it is clearing up but I am worried that the spg is going to stay REALLY high.

I know i under pitched yeast (1 smack pack of 1728), so right now I would like to focus on

1) Do I have a problem
2) What to do about it.

I also took a PH reading yesterday and it seems that I am lower than 4.6PH, does anyone know how low ph can get before yeast are unhappy?

I was shooting for a Scotch Ale of sorts, so I think it is supposed to be more malty but I am used to IPA's and am branching out.

Thanx

There isn't supposed to be any fermentation going on in secondary. That's why they call secondary and not secondary fermentation (which some people will call it, and they are wrong). You aren't supposed to rack it until you are at the target gravity and everything is at a standstill. It's designed to be a clarifying stage to let everything settle out of your beer.

Wyeast 1728 has an attenuation of 69-73 percent. Your attenuation is sitting at 63.4 percent, so you still had a ways to go. My guess is if you just leave it alone for a long time it will go down a few more points.

I'd chalk this one up to a learning experience. I'm sure the beer will be good, just a bit sweeter than you were probably hoping. For future reference when you think the beer has had enough time (probably two weeks minimum with a high OG like that) take gravity readings every other day until it's the same twice. That would mean it's stopped fermenting and your either at your target FG, or you are stalled. If you're stalled, try swirling up the carboy a bit to rouse the yeast, othewise try moving the carboy to a warmer place and it should pick back up.

Yea, I was thinking about the things you posted,

I put it into Secondary because I was getting NO activity and the readings were the same for 4 days in a row (prob not long enough), temp is sitting at about 70-72 so I am not sure how much warmer I could run it. I prob did rack to fast and I intentionally sucked up a lot of yeast when I racked into the secondary hoping that it would help get it going.

I had read about the ph changing in really high gravity beers so i was wondering if I brought that up a little it might help them wake up.

I guess it will just be a waiting game and I will let it sit for a week or two and hope that I have enough yeast to keep bringing SG down.

Latest posts

Back