Strong yeast flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollinred

Reaction score
I have been brewing on and off for three years, probably 12-16 batches total. All are extract kits.

Some of the batches I have made have turned out well, but others simply have an overpowering yeast flavor and aroma.

When I was new to brewing I immediately assumed that it was infection and dumped the batch or two. I completely refined my sanitizing practices. The flavor did not change at all. I then started to learn a bit more about craft beers and noticed this same flavor if you pour carefully off of the yeast sediment in a natural carb beer, then swirl it and drink that last few drops mixed with yeast. Except for my beers have a stronger yeast flavor than that.

I have tried doing primary for two weeks and secondary for 4-6 weeks. No good results. Moved to long primaries, same results. Got the keezer up and running. Now I cold crash everything before kegging it up. Still the same thing.

But... Mixed in with those bad batches I have had a few good ones that taste amazing without changing anything in my process.

oh yes... forgot to mention that I do ferment in a temp controlled chamber, usually set at 60-65 degrees and still have this flavor.

I have used dry yeast and also tried starters from liquid yeast, neither one seemed to make a difference.

I need to figure this out.

I think you need to provide some details on the kits and your process - post boil, sanitation, types of yeast, fermenter, etc. Aeration of wort? If you were to pull a hydro sample a few days into the ferment do you taste it?

I am amazed that you stuck with it for 12-16 batches over 3 years, with that kind of desire you will eventually get it right.

I think you need to provide some details on the kits and your process - post boil, sanitation, types of yeast, fermenter, etc. Aeration of wort? If you were to pull a hydro sample a few days into the ferment do you taste it?

I am amazed that you stuck with it for 12-16 batches over 3 years, with that kind of desire you will eventually get it right.

I knew I would have to answer more questions, just didn't want to make the first post to long.

I have had bad results with both AHS and Northern Brewer extract kits. I can hardly even think that it would be the fault of theirs. I have used US-04, 05, and Notty dry yeast. White labs and wyeast in starters. I did this on purpose, brewed two batches one day after the other using different brand yeasts with the same result at the same temp.

My last two batches were the same way, side by side with different yeast same results.

Four different sanitizers have been used, one-step, bleach, star-san, and iodophor. The iodophor has not yet had a completed batch... that is a few weeks away from seeing the keg.

I actually got in to the practice of mixing up 5 gallons of star-san every single batch and leaving all equipment soaking until it is needed, where it then gets a good slash before being put to use. Then it goes back in the bucket. Having thought that I had a problem with scratches in my plastic fermenter I got another one just to be sure it was not the problem.

For aeration I was originally just doing the dump and splash but moved to running out of auto siphon through a strainer and splashing around.

One area that I know people might light up about is what my boil and post boil drawback were...

Partial boil and chill in wash basin. Pour or siphon in to fermenter and top with tap water.

I did say those were my problems didn't I? Those won't be any more since my relentless quest to make good beer has led to one of these brewpots and built my own 50' wort chiller.

So I do recognize those as partial problems but addressed them as quickly as possible.

Gravities are close to meeting expected usually just being under expected original and missing final by a couple points.

Yes, I know most sane people would never spend a $1000+ on something they continuously fail at. But the fermentation chamber (keezer) gets my ferment temps where they need to be and stunt doubles as a kegerator. I thought that would take care of my problem. Then I moved on to do several failed batches and now finding my brew room with all sorts of fermenters, thanks to Mikfire, and a new brewpot.

Yeah, your right, its down right insane to put that much in to something that has only get you good results 15% of the time. :mug:

How long do you let them age? Set some aside and really let it age for a couple or few months and then give them a try. I bet you lose most of that "yeasty" flavor and your much happier with it.

have you had other people try your beer?

Yes, most of them say "it tastes like it is rotting" or "its really bitter and heavy"

Of course the bitter and heavy is what any bmc drinker would say of even a light home brew.

I should have probably waited until I had this new batch kegged that was made in the new brew pot before I posted this. Hopefully a full boil and quicker chill will help.

Otherwise I am lost.

Latest posts

Back