Strong West Coast IPA Recipe (Name: TBD)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorrisBrewingCo

Reaction score
This beer is inspired and almost identical to an Avery IPA clone recipe however the hop addition method is different (no whirlpool) and the OG increased. I am brewing this today with a 1400 mL Wyeast 1272 stir plate starter. I will document as I go but here is my recipe:

Strong West Coast IPA

Malt:
13.5 lbs 2-Row Pale Malt 93.75%
0.6 lb./9.6 oz. Munich 10L Malt 4.16%
0.3 lbs./4.8 oz. Crystal 120L 2.08%

Hop Schedule:
60 min – Columbus (15% AA) – 0.5 oz
30 min – Columbus (15% AA) – 0.5 oz
8 min – Cascade (7% AA) – 1 oz
8 min – Centennial (10% AA) – 1 oz
8 min – Chinook (13% AA) – 1 oz
Day 7 – Cascade – 1 oz
Day 7 – Centennial –1 oz
Day 7 – Chinook – 1 oz

Estimated Calculations:
Pre Boil OG - 1.052
Post Boil OG - 1.072
SRM - 8
IBU - 70

If it were me, I would move the 8 minute hops to flameout, bring the wort down below 200F, and let them steep for about 30 minutes. Sounds like a good hop combo. What's your mash temp?

If it were me, I would move the 8 minute hops to flameout, bring the wort down below 200F, and let them steep for about 30 minutes. Sounds like a good hop combo.
Thank you, it is a combination I have not tried yet. I thought about doing a steep. My research tells me they do a 20 to 30 min whirpool at about 150F to 180F to get the IBU up. Since I am not going for an exact clone I will do without the steep or whirlpool. My immersion chiller cools the wort in 15 to 20 minutes so plus the 8 min boil I figure these times will bring me close.
What's your mash temp?
I am planning on mashing at 152F for 60 minutes.

depending on what my Pre Boil OG is, I will adjust the scheduled 8 min 3 oz. hop addition as the following:

1.054 = 11 min
1.052 = 10 min
1.050 = 9 min
1.048 = 8 min
1.046 = 6 min
1.044 = 5 min

Thank you, it is a combination I have not tried yet. I thought about doing a steep. My research tells me they do a 20 to 30 min whirpool at about 150F to 180F to get the IBU up. Since I am not going for an exact clone I will do without the steep or whirlpool. My immersion chiller cools the wort in 15 to 20 minutes so plus the 8 min boil I figure these times will bring me close. I am planning on mashing at 152F for 60 minutes.

When the wort gets below 180F alpha acids are no longer being isomerized so there isn't really any IBU contribution.

152F sounds like a solid mash temp for this.

depending on what my Pre Boil OG is, I will adjust the scheduled 8 min 3 oz. hop addition as the following:

1.054 = 11 min
1.052 = 10 min
1.050 = 9 min
1.048 = 8 min
1.046 = 6 min
1.044 = 5 min

Are you adjusting the time because of IBU? I think whatever IBU difference there is between a 5 and 11 minute addition will be almost negligible, so I would add them at whatever time you think will give you the flavor and aroma you want (which is what late additions are mainly about), regardless of gravity.

Overall this sounds like it will be a delicious IPA!

EDIT: I meant the IBU difference because of the gravity will be negligible. But the difference between 5 and 11 minutes also won't be that much.

When the wort gets below 180F alpha acids are no longer being isomerized so there isn't really any IBU contribution.
Thanks for the info. So I am assuming they use more like 180 to 190.
EDIT: I meant the IBU difference because of the gravity will be negligible. But the difference between 5 and 11 minutes also won't be that much.
I am trying to get my recipes to a more repeatable process. While playing around in brewer's friend I noticed the post boil OG, which is based of the pre boil OG, affected IBUs. Really I was not sure how much was true but I have a center IBU:ABV ratio I am going for. Let me know and I'll follow up tomorrow with how the brewing went.

then how does FWH work?

It doesn't. Well at least in my experience I've never really seen a noticeable advantage or much of anything added from FWH. I calculate IBU from FWH as a 70 minute addition (assuming a 60 min boil) because all you're doing is adding a bittering addition while lautering and leaving it in while the wort gets up to a boil and then throughout the boil. So before the wort hits 180F, the FWH isn't contributing IBUs, but after that it will be. But any flavor/aroma extracted during this time is then boiled off just like a 60 minute addition.

From what I understand it is supposed to contribute a smoother bitterness than traditional 60 minute additions. It's also said to somehow enhance your later flavor and aroma hop additions.

So last night the brewing went smooth. I hit a pre boil OG of 1.050. Then some sort of fate must have taken place due to the temperature change. My wort had a really low boil off resulting in 6.3 gallons at 1.060 which is closer to the actual OG. Instead of boiling more off I decided to chill as is and see if I can actually get more of a clone. Now I will have 5 gallons to keg and some bottles. The only downside is possible yeast overpitching but I do not think enough so for any bad results. The carboy is bubbling at 14 bubbles/10 seconds (1.4/sec or 84/min) 8.0 hours after pitching and will probably sound more like a machine gun when I get home.

*Side note, I went to my LHBS for another carboy before brewing and picked up some Wyeast 1217 - West Coast IPA which I will store and use next time.

Carboy went in to the fridge Sunday night and I am kegging today when I get home which makes for a 19 day fermentation and 2 day cold crash.

how did this turn out? May try it tomorrow if you had favorable results.

The result was one great IPA. I may make some time adjustments with the final boil hop addition and possibly try FWH another round but it will definitely be rebrewed soon.

I do longer fermentations for my high gravs. You can use whatever fermenting process that you usually go with.

Pfish let me know if you're gonna try a brew as I would enjoy another opinion. I had my dad's buddy a brewery owner try it and he had fantastic things to say.

weather up here was bad yesterday so I am going to brew this up this Saturday or Sunday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back