Strong H2S

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroach01

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
I just started fermenting a nice Cab kit from northern brewer. I have followed the directions to the T and am two days into fermentation. It is fermenting quickly, but within the past few hours the smell of volcanoes/rhino farts/H2S has overcome my fermentation room. I have transferred it between a secondary and back but it comes right back.
I have yet to add the potassium metabisulphate, potassium sorbate, and fining agent as these come later. I am fermenting around 70 degrees.
I don't know why this is happening given that this is an expensive kit and I have followed the directions exactly. I am worried that I get mercaptans should this go on for a while. I have worked with these compounds in medical research and know how nasty and powerful of reducing agents these are. I cant imagine it makes for good wine.
Any suggestions or guidance?

Much appreciated.

kroach01 said:
Hey all,
I just started fermenting a nice Cab kit from northern brewer. I have followed the directions to the T and am two days into fermentation. It is fermenting quickly, but within the past few hours the smell of volcanoes/rhino farts/H2S has overcome my fermentation room. I have transferred it between a secondary and back but it comes right back.
I have yet to add the potassium metabisulphate, potassium sorbate, and fining agent as these come later. I am fermenting around 70 degrees.
I don't know why this is happening given that this is an expensive kit and I have followed the directions exactly. I am worried that I get mercaptans should this go on for a while. I have worked with these compounds in medical research and know how nasty and powerful of reducing agents these are. I cant imagine it makes for good wine.
Any suggestions or guidance?

Much appreciated.

I've had a wine kit do this to me before. For whatever reason the yeast isn't happy. I'd give the wine a stir. Go back to your brew store and pick up some yeast nutrient and stir that in.

If this persists, siphon the wine through/ past some copper. This will help gas off the sulpher. Hope you get it under control!

WilliamSlayer said:
If this persists, siphon the wine through/ past some copper. This will help gas off the sulpher. Hope you get it under control!

Should I run it through my immersion chiller into another carboy back and forth? I feel like that helped initially but it just came right back. Didn't use the immersion chiller though (copper)

kroach01 said:
Should I run it through my immersion chiller into another carboy back and forth? I feel like that helped initially but it just came right back. Didn't use the immersion chiller though (copper)

The copper reacts with the H2S and gasses it out. I insert a line of 1/8 (coiled) copper line in my racking tubing and run the wine past it as I transfer from carboy to carboy. I would hesitate to use an immersion chiller unless you are very sure its crystal clean. I use my copper thread only for this purpose, then bag it up and pray I never need it again! :)

Back