Strong Dark Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William656

Reaction score
Hey Guys. I recently brewed my first Belgian beer and was shooting for a Belgian strong dark. I have never had one before and it's my brothers favorite style. It turned out very well, but since, I have had a couple commercial examples including Chimay Blue and realized that my beer was much more tart and did not have a sweet malt character I found in the commercial examples. Plus mine was around 10%ABV. (The alcohols is well hidden) I really like how my version turned out slightly tart with tart cherry and slight raspberry flavors. Most of the color came from the dark candi sugar I used.

My question is has anyone ever had a Strong Dark crossed with a Saison? I feel this is the best description of what I brewed and don't see any BJCP guidelines for it. I would love to know if anyone has brewed something similar or know of any commercial examples to compare. While crossing two styles was not my intent, I really like how mine turned out. Not heavy/malty/sweet like a Strong Dark, but a refreshing tart finish and more dark fruit character a true saison doesn't have. It's like the best of both worlds. :rockin:

Thanks and brew on!

"Sometimes the best things come from mistakes."

I brewed something along these lines this weekend in an extract batch. It's dark, it will be strong and has some great aromas coming out of the air lock. I tried a version of a Northern Brewer kit my friend had called Saison Noel and it was decent but felt it needed something more to make it great. I added the mosaic since the 3711 plays well with aroma hops and mixed in the Danstar yeast to get a nice funky saison flavor with the dark malts.

6 lbs LME Golden
.5 lbs Belgium Special B
.25 lbs De-bittered black malt
1 lbs - L90 Belgium Candi Syrup
1 lbs Corn Sugar
1 oz Nugget @ 60
2 oz Mosaic at Flameout

1 pack Wyeast 3711
1 pack Danstar Belle Belgium Saison

I had everything set up for nice traditional saison- yeast starter, etc......then wanted to make it a little bit autumnal. Shooting for 1.065-70 OG and finishing up around 1.005-ish. Potent 7.5-8% and nice dry crisp finish. doing modified pumpkin saison but will not add any pumpkin spices. Plan on letting the french saison yeast contribute the spices & phenols.

6 lbs pilsner
3 lbs vienna (little malt and "toasty" flavor)
1 lb wheat
.5 lb victory (nice dry biscuit aroma/ flavor)
.25 lb caravienne
2-3 lbs canned libbey's pumpkin- oven at 350 for 1 hour (in mash)
Perle hops- 60 minutes- 18-20 IBUs
Sorachi ace- 15 minutes 5-10 IBUs
WY french saison
1 lb belgian candi sugar (or combo of this and treacle)
Mash 150-152- want this crisp and dry but not too thin. Hoping mayber 152 and the wheat/victory/caravienne may keep the body from getting too thin
Ferment 65-67
Rise to 80 after 3 days

Been tweaking it for a month already. Plan on brewing soon. But then again I planned on brewing it about 2 weeks ago also.

I got something similar with a dubbel. It used t58, caramelized sugar, special b and was dry hopped with EKG. It had a certain tartness and a chocolate and cherry flavour. A bit like dry and alcoholic black forest gateaux.

Forgot that I plan on adding 1 lbs belgian candi sugar. But I only have clear. May split 50% candidate 50% treacle

Thanks for the input. I was wondering if anyone has a commercial example of a Strong Dark Saison. Thanks.

Upright Brewing out of Portland makes a Dark Rye Saison called Six that is pretty amazing if you ask me.

Back