Strip Thermometer on Plastic or Glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
Greetings -

Does anyone know if those strip thermometers work on plastic bucket fermenters? Or only on glass carboys? I've got one stuck to my plastic bucket and it reads the same temp as the ambient temp. I've got some pretty vigorous fermentation going on an IPA and can't imagine it's not warmer in the fermenter...leading me to believe the thermometer isn't working on the plastic.

Thanks!

ive got one on my bucket seem to work as well as a thermometer on the outside of a bucket can.

My fermometers on buckets work fine. I saw it first hand last night when I poured 78 degree wort into a bucket in my 65 degree garage. The fermometer registered the change right away.

Thanks for the replies!

I might have something wrong with my strip thermometer...my strip (which is the same as ambient) is stating 63 degrees....but I decided to take the lid off and take a temp reading to find out for sure, where it read 68 (which I was happy about)...but I think there is something wrong with my strip.

Thanks for the replies!

I might have something wrong with my strip thermometer...my strip (which is the same as ambient) is stating 63 degrees....but I decided to take the lid off and take a temp reading to find out for sure, where it read 68 (which I was happy about)...but I think there is something wrong with my strip.

They're generally accurate to within 1 degree. Sounds like you just have a bad one. :(

Back