Strawberry triple IPA???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad32brewing

Reaction score
So I want to make around a 10% triple IPA and use strawberries in it. I have never brewed with fruit before so I really have no idea how to do it or if this would even be a good idea. Does anybody have a recipe for something like this, what type of hops do you think would work well, do you think this would even be a good idea, and also how exactly do you add fruit to a beer.

Might take a look around at the commercial strawberry IPAs for hop ideas.
For example, Harpoon's "Strawberry Milkshake IPA".

Fruiting a triple IPA will not be without intrinsic conflicts that will need to be tuned for an optimal result. Eg: big ABV wants big hopping, but big hopping will step all over most fruit characters - which are generally delicate to begin with. May have to jack up the fruit voltage :D

Cheers!

If you’ve never brewed with fruit before, I personally wouldn’t make my first attempt to be in such a big beer where it will already be difficult to hit the balance between the hops Character, alcohol, potential sweetness and bitterness. I do have a triple ipa recipe in the recipe thread that could help you. Hops that could pair well would be Belma, Vic secret, Mosaic and/or Citra
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/new-england-style-tipa.679435/page-2
if you want to go for if, I figure you’ll need slightly more than the typical 1 lb per gallon ratio. Most likely you will need a minimum of 1.5lbs per gallon to have it noticeable.

Def recommend Belma for hops. I use it in a strawberry rhubarb wheat and feel it helps bring out the strawberry flavor and aroma.

i add fruit by freezing it, then thawing, smushing with a sanitized handheld blender, adding a calculated amount of vodka, letting sit in refrig a few days, then add to primary after vigorous fermentation has subsided. I like to leave it in for a couple weeks. I attach a piece of paint strainer bag to the autosiphon to keep fruit from clogging things.

Strawberries have a more subtle flavor than other fruits I’ve tried. As said above, in an IPA they may get a little lost unless you add more than average amount.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Another question. I have read that if I want to use fruit during the fermentation process I have to transfer my wort into a secondary fermentor. Is this true or can I just put the fruit into my primary fermentation vessel by placing the fruit in a sanitized mesh bag and just placing it in?

Thanks for the advice everyone. Another question. I have read that if I want to use fruit during the fermentation process I have to transfer my wort into a secondary fermentor. Is this true or can I just put the fruit into my primary fermentation vessel by placing the fruit in a sanitized mesh bag and just placing it in?
Not true. Purée the fruit and put it in your primary or in a mesh bag if you choose

+1 to putting in the primary vessel. I would also recommend wrapping a small piece of paint strainer bag around the end of the siphon when it comes time to siphon to a bottling bucket or keg in order to keep fruit bits from clogging up the siphon. I learned this the hard way.

So I just built a recipe that was just a little edit from one I found online. Would someone mind looking through it and see if it would work. If you have any changes, edits, or suggestions, please let me know. This is my first time brewing a beer where I am not fully following a recipe. Also, when it comes to adding whirlpool hops, how long should I leave them in the kettle for until I start to cool the wort down to pitching temp. I will be whirlpooling at 175 F most likely.

SOME NOTES ABOUT THE RECIPE: The strawberries will be added into the fermentor about a week into fermentation or at least a few days after primary fermentation has and will sit there for about a week. I am either going to use frozen strawberries and put them into a muslin bag or will add two or three cans of that strawberry puree you can buy at homebrew stores. I will mash at 150 for 60 minutes. The high krausen dry hops will be added one day after the high krausen has subsided and the last two addition of dry hops will be added 3 days before bottling. The recipe will be attached to the bottom.

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 11.20.53 AM.png

So I just built a recipe that was just a little edit from one I found online. Would someone mind looking through it and see if it would work. If you have any changes, edits, or suggestions, please let me know. This is my first time brewing a beer where I am not fully following a recipe. Also, when it comes to adding whirlpool hops, how long should I leave them in the kettle for until I start to cool the wort down to pitching temp. I will be whirlpooling at 175 F most likely.

SOME NOTES ABOUT THE RECIPE: The strawberries will be added into the fermentor about a week into fermentation or at least a few days after primary fermentation has and will sit there for about a week. I am either going to use frozen strawberries and put them into a muslin bag or will add two or three cans of that strawberry puree you can buy at homebrew stores. I will mash at 150 for 60 minutes. The high krausen dry hops will be added one day after the high krausen has subsided and the last two addition of dry hops will be added 3 days before bottling. The recipe will be attached to the bottom.

View attachment 698832
Def get rid of the rye. Totally a bad call to add a spice grain character in a fruited milkshake style Beer. It’s going to take away from the sweetness and fruit notes

Do you think I should substitute it with anything or just take it out completely?
I also didn’t read your title well. I thought it was a milkshake style triple ipa. You seem to be going for more of a west coast style TIPA with strawberry but even so rye would not be my call.

you could replace it with base grain or a body building grain like wheat or cara pils

I also didn’t read your title well. I thought it was a milkshake style triple ipa. You seem to be going for more of a west coast style TIPA with strawberry but even so rye would not be my call.

you could replace it with base grain or a body building grain like wheat or cara pils
[/Q

ok, like maybe 2 pounds of flaked wheat

Back