Strawberry beer fermentation issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBHoW

Reaction score
Hi all,
My friend and I both brewed some beer this weekend - Mine an oatmeal stout, and his, a strawberry beer. Mine is bubbling away just fine, but his is not. Here are the details:
His recipe called for 10# of frozen strawberries to be added to the primary. We are both using buckets, so that's not a big deal. It's a 5 gallon all grain batch that, after his boil, turned out to be more like 4 gallons. He cooled it down to about 80 degrees and tossed the strawberries in. This, of course, dropped the temp down to probably 60 or so. His OG was around 1.060, I don't have his notes to give you the specific, but all looked normal.
He pitched dry American Ale yeast (we both incidentally pitched the same kind of yeast, purchased that day from our LHBS, and mine is fine so I don't THINK the yeast was the problem.) We then stirred in the yeast and yeast nutrient with sanitized paddles and put the buckets in their dark, 60 degree corner of my house where they've been since Saturday night. I check on them occasionally when I'm walking by, and mine is going great. His has not yet had one bubble. This is his first attempt at any kind of fruit beer (I've never made one either) and I'm thinking the strawberries probably should have been thawed first. He said the recipe he found said to put frozen strawberries in the primary. Hey, if the recipe says it, one would assume that must be correct. :confused:
What do you guys think? Should I warm it up to 70 or so and see if we can energize the little buggers, or did they freeze to death, and another pitching is necessary?

First,bubbles in the airlock DO NOT constitute fermentation. Second, yes it probably got a little cold when the frozen berries were put in, but if your ambient temp is 60F then the beer would have warmed up and it is probably fermenting away.Third, check out this thread for all you need to know on strawberry blonde! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/wild-strawberry-blonde-241879/ Or this one... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/succulent-strawberry-blonde-132423/

Anyway, chances are his beer is fermenting without any issues. I would say the berries should have gone into secondary though.

Okay, thanks for the quick reply. I don't see how I wouldn't need to get bubbles in my airlock from an airtight bucket though. I've never not had airlock activity from a sealed fermenter.
I also would have assumed they would have gone into the secondary but his recipe specifically said not to. We'll see. I'm sure it'll turn out good.

Bubbles in the airlock are nothing more than a sign that CO2 is escaping. Just because there is a built up layer of CO2 on top of the beer does not mean that it is escaping at a fast enough rate to create bubbles. Search this site for even a few minutes and you will see the #1 question asked is "my airlock isn't bubbling..." And the #1 answer is "An airlock is NOT a hydrometer" After 7-10 days, take a hydrometer reading of his beer. That is the ONLY way you will know if fermentation has started or is complete. Btw, did you rehydrate the dry yeast or just pour it in? Did you aerate it very well? I'm not saying there aren't things that could have caused fermentation to not start, just that the airlock bubbles are not a sign of fermentation. If, after you have taken a reading, you find that fermentation didn't start, I would pitch another pack of dry yeast and shake the sh*t out of the bucket! But I would almost bet it's fine.

Thanks for the reply. Just to let ya know, it fermented great and is ready for bottling. I appreciate your input and will pass along your recipes to him!i

Back