Strangest Mash Day for me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodell

Welltown Brewery
Reaction score
So here I am, getting my mash going when all the sudden my temps start fluctuating like crazy, going up 10 degrees, going down 5, up 6 more and down 20.

I have a herms system, so I am looking at these on my PID's. realizing something was off, I start looking only to find a mouse (I assume) has gnawed on both my temp probs....So unfortunately I have no idea what my mash temps were today....

Doing a DIPA. After a few test I know I have a full conversion so all in all not that big of a deal, but still...kindof sucks...

I should also say my backup thermometer read 189 degrees...and I know for a fact that it was not that hot because I dipped my finger in. so yeah....

The average person says what, a hundred bucks for a thermometer? That’s friggin crazy! But they work awesomely. It’s the only thermometer I really depend on on brew day!

Yup...i feel very confident in my PID readings but when they were jumping around I was so annoyed

Having just read the entire FTC thread last night I honest to god expected this to have something to do with drywall in the mash...

Cheers! :D

I did mash 5/8" drywall with this......

Just kidding this was an actual beer @fredthecat

I had a mash like that. Dumped my strike water a bit too splashy and soaked my control panel. Unplugged and dried it with hair dryer but was still a flaky brew day. Beer came out ok and by next brew day all was fine but I was worried for sure.

It happened but everything is fermenting well and going smoothly. Temp probes are easy enough to replace.

Back