strange priming/sweetening ideas...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LexxTalon

Reaction score
reading a few threads about Dr Pepper beer... and trying to brew Mt. Dew successfully... I'm thinking about doing some experimenting myself.

But to avoid issues with preservatives and such, I'm thinking a good way to get the flavor, without the hassle... is just to use these substances AFTER primary fermentation... and maybe after secondary as well.

I'm assuming, because the yeast will be going pretty strong... that adding it WON'T stop the yeast from doing their business, but I guess it's possible.

I'm going to start a batch of cider similar to BrewFrick's PDC, rack in about 7 days... give it another 2 weeks or so... and add Mt. Dew and bottle. This will be in place of the limeade that he suggests later in the thread. I will check on carbonation and cold crash once it's reached an acceptable lvl. How long it takes to carb... and tasting it... will give me a good idea of how much of the sugars in the dew fermented...

I may then try adding the dew upon racking... to give it some time to coagulate and ferment into the overall flavor/color. If that goes well... try adding some to a tea and sugar solution at primary

Depending on how this goes... I may do a Dr Pepper one as well... I'm a Dr Pepper fiend... so that sounds very interesting to me. It'll also be very interesting to see what it does to the overall color.

thoughts? :D

Cold crashing is normally used prior to bottling. It's not typically used to stop carbonation in bottled cider. I suppose it would work if you keep the cider in the fridge until you drink it. Take it out and fermentation will start again when it warms up.

Typical carbonation requires about an ounce of sugar per gallon. Reading the nutrition label on the Mountain Dew and calculating the added sugar is a lot better than judging the sugars by taste and the time needed to carb.

which is the plan.... the question is whether the preservatives will affect the active yeast... so it will either carb up... or remain sweet... depending on the lvl of effect...

Back