Strange marks on inside of MegaPot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dionbill

Reaction score
I filled my brand new 20-gal MegaPot with water for the first time and immediately noticed several marks/stains around the bottom of the pot. (Attached). These were not there prior to filling with water. Does anyone have any idea what this might be, what caused it, and if it will affect anything? This is my first MegaPot but I have used many other brands without issue. Thanks.

Dion
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405271790.256047.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1405271801.709785.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1405271816.605837.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Looks like impurities in the steel. I see that at work in contaminated welds. Since it looks like it's around the bottom corner, I could imaging the bottom is welded on prior to finishing.
I would call manufacturer for an explanation.
I'd think you'd be safe boiling.

Is that on a weld? Did it materialize before or after heat was applied? Either way, get a replacement. That is not acceptable

Yeah, my thoughts too. It looks like there is an impurity at the center of each mark, but it is very smooth to the touch. I've sent them an email so we'll see what they have to say.

No heat. Just filled with water. Not on a weld.

Send it back for a new one. That's what I would do.

Keep us posted. I've been interested in the 15 gallon version of your pot. Either that or the Bayou for my next kettle.

So, Steve at northern brewer got back to me right away and suggested I try Barkeeper's Friend cleaner, which I have used before, but had none. So I went out and got some, and within 10 seconds of applying and scrubbing, all marks were gone... Incredible indeed. I tried scrubbing it with soap and sponge which didn't work, but the BF did. He had no idea what caused it in the first place. but it's fixed...

So, Steve at northern brewer got back to me right away and suggested I try Barkeeper's Friend cleaner, which I have used before, but had none. So I went out and got some, and within 10 seconds of applying and scrubbing, all marks were gone... Incredible indeed. I tried scrubbing it with soap and sponge which didn't work, but the BF did. He had no idea what caused it in the first place. but it's fixed...

Have you tried filling it again? My concern would be if the impurity was embedded into the stainless you would have a reoccurring problem. Have NB said they will still sort you out if this comes back?

They have not said that exactly but I have no doubt that they would. They've offered me a $30 gift card already for having the issue to start with. But I will ask them question though...

I had some surface rust like that show up on my keggle after I did some work on it which involved filing, drilling, sanding and soldering. The small little rust spots showed up on area away from where I had worked. I also used BarKeeper's on them and took them off with almost no effort. They have stayed away ever since.

Good to know. I'll keep an eye on it for sure. It's my HLT so i can keep a close eye on it.

Barkeepers Friend also passivates stainless, so after removing the small iron impurity it should not rust again. Sometimes you have to do it a few times to get rid of it.

If it keeps rusting it's more deeply embedded or in the worst case an alloy flaw that can develop a pit or even a hole over time. Now 1.2 mm of stainless is a lot of material, so that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Latest posts

Back