Strange Lack of Head Retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimbus

Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed my 35th batch on my same all grain BIAB system and something really odd is happening with this one. I force carbonated as per usual, 30psi for 18-24 hours, reduce to serving pressure which has always worked before. This english IPA, when served up seems to have a correct head when poured but the bubbles dissipate immediately with an audible crackle like you'd get from a store bought carbonated soda. 30 seconds and the head is gone but there still seems to be some carbonation in the beer itself. The only thing I did different was this was a first time brewed recipe. Do you think my grain bill is to blame? I think the beer is admittedly a little under attenuated, a slight sweetness but very pleasant and balanced overall with the english hop character. Wyeast 1968 has never been a robust attenuator in my brewery anyway but I like the flavor and it certainly drops clear. Any ideas on lack of head retention would be appreciated.

My measured OG was 1.060, I'll have to look up my final gravity when I get home but it was definately a couple of points higher than expected.

Recipe: End of the Beginning IPA
Brewer: Nimbus
Asst Brewer:
Style: English IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 13.77 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.44 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 10.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 11.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 71.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74.4 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
20 lbs 10.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.6 %
1 lbs Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.1 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.1 %
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 4.1 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.1 %
2.79 oz Challenger [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 38.5 IBUs
3.17 oz Fuggles [5.00 %] - Aroma Steep 10.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Aroma Ste Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Scott BIAB, Med Body 152degrees / 90 minutes
Total Grain Weight: 24 lbs 6.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 62.20 qt of water at 159.5 F 152.0 F 60 min

I have had issues with using different dish detergents. I might be way off but its happened to me.

CBMbrewer said:
I have had issues with using different dish detergents. I might be way off but its happened to me.

+1 to using clean glassware! Any sort of dishwasher residue, soap, rinse agent etc will kill the head quickly!

Try cleaning a glass with a little vinegar and water and rinse well and see if that helps.

Definately not glassware related, I am serving a Dry Irish Stout on Nitro on Tap #2 that has that just right head and mouthfeel but glassware or changes in sanitization of kegs are good suggestions. This is a very tasty beer, reminds me of some lower carbed cask ales I've had. It's odd yet delicious, definately drinkable, I'm just so curious about what's going on. Maybe it was my use of olive oil in place of Star San on this batch...just kidding ;-)

Kinda seems like a infection. Maybe lactic acid? I had a blonde that I've brewed a dozen times and the last time, I had ZERO head retention, after much deliberation and lots of research, that's the only conclusion.

Back