Strange Floating Mass in Fantome Hiver Dregs Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarioM

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I made a 500ml starter from dregs out of 2 bottles of Fantome Hiver. The bottles were relatively young or at least from a recent batch of non-smoky, clean tasty beers. The starter was 1.020 SG and added .2 oz of EKG hops to prevent any bugs from getting out of hand (hence the green color and floating green matter in the starter). The started took 5 days to show clear signs of activity but noticed a strange mass floating after day 6. It smells a little vegetable like but I'm assuming that's the hops, no sour or horribly bad smells.

Here's a Vid:

I would like to step the starter up and brew a batch this weekend but am kinda worried about the starter. Its early enough and have access to more Fantome if I decide to dump and remake the starter.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks.

I decanted the liquid into another starter and removed what looked like just hop vegetable matter clumped together. But now the starter, 24 hrs later on a stir plate, hasn't shown huge signs of fermentation nor has is formed a krausen.

The yeast is probably in your hand. The picture looked like flocculated quagulated yeast mixed with hop matter

The 2nd starter made after decanting literally just took off a few min ago. It wend from a flat foamless surface to a nice normal looking head.

Latest posts

Back