Strange aroma in all my ciders.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've brewed around 10 batches of cider. Everything from Saison yeast to Cider yeast. All with store bought 100% apple juice. They mostly come out with a great taste (the one im drinking now was made with a Saison yeast and Belgium candi syrup!) but they all have this sort of alcohol aroma. Once you get passed that, its great. Anything that could be causing this. All are fermented and aged at room temp (75-78), and have a good 3-6 months of conditioning on them before I keg. Please help.

I would try fermenting at a lower temperature. 75 to 78 seems high to me. I would go closer to 68

I need to, I agree. Living in south Florida makes it tough. Need to get a fridge or freezer with a temp control. Maybe soon. Do you think this would cause an alcohol aroma? I have brewed around 40 batches of beer as well with these temps and Alcohol aroma is never an issue. Then again, Im no Cider expert.

What is your ABC? Could be your geting into the 10% and get the alcohol smell from that

Normally im around 6-7%. This last batch I dont have any records on since I was in the middle of moving and I kind of lost track. I also added the Candi syrup in secondary and caused a second fermentation, then it sat for 5 months. I have no idea what the OG was on this last one and dont know how to calculate ABV when sugar adjuncts are added after primary.

Woah. Room temp of 75 means it is probably getting way into the upper 70's during peak fermentation. That could definitely contribute to hot/fusel-like flavors. Buying a mini fridge on craigslist is one of the best things I have bought to help improve my cider-making. I didn't even have to buy a thermostat, because the warmest setting on the fridge keeps it between 58-60 and I have noticed a major difference.

Back