Straining the wort Good idea????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRUbaker

Reaction score
For what reasons i had i strained my wort through a 200 micron sieve on brew day. It's the sieve i use from my honey extraction.

OG was 1.080. Going into the secondary SG was 1.024. I just bottled it and the FG was 1.022. i've never seen a clearer beer! ('Monk's Blood' clone btw). There was sediment on the bottom of the secondary; yeast only and very, very little. I thought it should attenuate more but it's gone pretty far as it is.

Is this really a good idea?

Thanks

I strain with a sanitized 5 gallon paint strainer bag as I pour into my Ale Pail. I don't notice any different in flavor or clarity in the final product from batches I haven't strained, but I want more room for beer in my fermentor and it makes it easier to wash my yeast.

+1 to OClairBrew. I use a similar paint strainer bag to improve the clarity. It does a good job, probably not as good as your 200µ sieve, but I noticed the difference. Results got better when I started using Whirlfloc tabs as well.

My funnel I use has a strainer that snaps in. It not only helps with partials but also with adding airiation to the wort.

I see. I'll look into getting a hops bag then. I used to use the grain bag for my hops but then i noticed all the hops that passed through it. That's why i used that sieve. I do believe the aeration was better with it. I'll experiment with both maybe.

Thanks everyone.

My brew kit came with a nice big mesh strainer that sits perfectly on a fermenting bucket and makes straining hops after a boil easy assuming they are full hops and not pellets.

Back