Straight APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinsman

Reaction score
Back into brewing after a long layoff.

Done three batches so far; looking to have something in the realm of APA up to Amber. I want good malt flavor but not too sweet; balanced bitterness and perceptible aroma but not right out front.

2 1/2 gallon batches.
BIAB with dunk sparge.
RO water

Right now the recipe is:
5lb Montana 2-row
1/2 lb C-40
Mt. Hood hops is what I have right now and I'm thinking 1oz @60min and maybe 1/4-1/2 oz at flameout. Cooled with immersion chiller and pitched onto cake of SA-05, on account of that's in the fermenter and last one went bonkers quick.

Ideas?

Last edited:
It would probably help if you would post the alpha acid of your hops. And, while I personally like Mt. Hood hops, they are not what most would consider for an APA. But, then again, that's why we home-brew.

Mine are 6.4%.
Guess I was thinking that the MH were kinda middle of the road...not real juicy like.
Suggest a hop for the next batch?

Actually, you brew above my pay grade. I'm an extract brewer that still thinks in terms if HBUs. I was really just saying that you might get better advice that way. That said, I think the bitterness will be okay, and I'd go with the 1/2 oz. at flame out.
I brew my "Summer Ale" using S-05 yeast and Centennial for bitterness and Cascades for aroma at about those levels of alpha and I like enough to do it about every year. So, I can't help but recommend those.
And, I'll admit that I once brewed (in 2000) "Mount Hood Miscellaneous Ale" using what ever stuff I had on hand, which included Mt. Hood hops. It was 6.15 HBUs, and had addiitions for flavor for 15 minutes at the end for aroma. I didn't record the yeast but my notes suggest it was probably Edme. The brew was excellent.

It would probably help if you would post the alpha acid of your hops. And, while I personally like Mt. Hood hops, they are not what most would consider for an APA. But, then again, that's why we home-brew.
While I like certain hops in certain beers there's no reason to stick to "in style" hops. I'm currently drinking an ordinary bitter made with mittlefruh hops.

Back