Stout using wyeast 1010 American wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcbar

Reaction score
I harvested some 1010 from a recent batch, but I have a lot of wheat in my pipeline and was thinking of doing something different.

Would it be totally absurd to use it in a stout? I think it's less estery than a hefewiezen yeast, and in a dark beer I'm not overly concerned with a bit of cloudiness.

Anyone ever tried this?

If you aren't too concerned about the flocculation i don't see why this wouldn't be ok. Its recommended for a cream ale so its going to be a pretty neutral yeast profile.

Never tried it in a stout but I use 1010 a lot, I agree it's quite neutral at least in the range that I ferment it (pitch around 65, to around 68 at end of fermentation). It's ends up pretty similar to the chico strains IME except for maybe adding a little more tartness to something light like a wheat beer. May not notice it in yours, I think you'll be fine if you want to try it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back