Stout Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeprooo

Reaction score
Good Afternoon All!

I'm looking at brewing my Second AG Stout and I have a couple questions.

Here is the recipe if you are interested: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/176406/american-stout

Let me know what you think. Its pretty straightforward. A little on the strong side and almost an Imperial Stout.

The first question concerns the Flaked Barley in the recipe. Do I mill it with the rest of the grain or just throw it in the mash. The second question is pretty much the same for the darker specialty grains such as the Roast Barley, Chocolate, and Coffee malt. I've heard to just steep those vs milling and mashing with the rest of the grain.

Any comments let me know. Will be brewing in the next few week's.

Mike

No need to mill the Flaked Barley, it just goes right into the mash.
People are all over the map as far as what they do with dark grains, but I usually either steep them or add them to the top of the mash during the sparge.

Any flaked grain can just be thrown in the mash, no reason to mill them.

From my limited knowledge, you'll want to mill the others, roasted barley, chocolate, and coffee. While they're mainly for adding flavor and color there's still fermentables that you get from them and the added surface area from milling means you'll get more flavor and color from them.

One thing to consider is when to add the darker grains, some wait till the last 15min to add to the mash or wait till they start lautering and run the first running's over them.

Back