Stout nitro question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fracturedman

Reaction score
So I am getting my brew kit tomorrow(friday) and was wondering where I get the gas for a keg. I am planning on brewing a stout and was wondering where you get the nitrogen for such a tap? Where do you get the CO2?

Just as he said:

most welding gas suppy shops also sale bev, med , and culanary gas

If you have an AirGas up there check them out. Or look in your local yellow pages for welding supply and call around. My guess is most places will have to order it for you so better to call around first anyway. And yes, your LHBS folks "should" know.

You don't mention it, so I'd also recommend a stout faucet for this.

Yeah you need lots of new equipment to do Nitro. Go to airgas and get a new tank & regulator (I don't think you can use CO2 tank) and have them fill it up with about 75% Nitrogen 25% CO2. Then to go your LHBS and get a stout faucet. A stout faucet is required and they are expensive.

When I make my stout I force carbonate (with CO2) to about 1.5 volumes. Then I relieve the pressure & put it on Nitro for 3 or 4 days and then drink. I'm not sure the PSI on the regulator for my nitro tank because the regulator is broken. I just do it a small amount at a time and try samples until it seems right.

It seems like lots of work and money but it's totally worth it. I won't even drink stouts unless they are served on Nitro anymore.

Not to be a naysayer or anything, I just want to point out a few facts. Are you absolutely set on serving a stout with nitrogen? Every style of stout isn't necessarily better on nitro. Since its your first batch, do you want to invest in a kegging setup? You will need a keg (or two), regulator, tank, stout faucet, shanks and collars to mount the faucet, and a fridge (or freezer with temp control). Kegging is definitely worth it. I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying a whole setup on your first batch so it could be served like a Guinness though. Thats just my 2 cents.

Do a Yellow Pages or Google Search for "Fountain Service" too.. They usually keep tanks of Beer Mix and CO2 in stock at all times. Some of them let you "buy-in" and own a tank...which you swap out with them when you get a fill...others lease tanks. Most will fill your Individually owned tanks as well.

Welding shops sometimes refer to N2-C02 blends as ALIGAL.

My closest "Fountain Service" that fills Beer Mix tanks...prefers to use 20# CO2 tanks. They're rated to 1800 - 2000 psi depending on the manufacturer...and he keeps the CGA320 CO2 valve on them. It makes it easy for the bars & restaurants that he caters to switch to a nitro. They use their existing regulators and just swap out faucets. So call around before dumping a bunch of money into it. I bought a Nitrogen bottle...and he grumbles when I show up... he tags it and sends it out to get filled.

I love having Guinness on tap in my kegerator. The Beer Mix keeps it at the right level of carbonation...helps force it through the restrictor plate in the stout faucet...and allows you to pour perfect Black & Tans...etc.

So, picked up my kit today and decided to buy a pale ale kit. Tomorrow...BREW DAY. I feel like a kid on christmas eve...I doubt I will be able to sleep tonight...lol

Back